Tune in to New Brunswick's vibrant music scene

For new Rutgers students seeking something different, New Brunswick offers a blossoming underground music scene that, with a few tips, can lead to some unforgettable experiences. – Photo by Franky Tan

Coming into college, many students will have likely never heard of "basement shows," musical performances hosted in the basements of student homes. But for those familiar, they're exciting events that celebrate local acts.

It can be stressful to navigate your first basement show alone, so here's a must-read guide for everything going on in New Brunswick's music scene.

What you should bring

You will definitely need your phone or wallet. Shows normally cost $5 or $10, so be prepared to pay with either cash or Venmo. It can be frustrating for the attendants to be constantly asked if they take Cash App or Zelle, so just save them the trouble.

Also, don't try to bargain with the people at the door — if it says a price on a flyer, that's the price. If you try to get in without paying and get caught, don't be surprised if you get thrown out or permanently banned from the venue. Most of the money goes to the artists or bands performing, so don't be that person who doesn't pay.

Once you get into the venue, it's a good idea to pull out a pair of earplugs. It gets extremely loud in the basement, and unless you plan on losing your hearing, it's a worthwhile investment. Protecting your eardrums is more important than not looking cool.

Most shows will give out earplugs for free at the front door, so just kindly ask for a pair. If the venue doesn't have any, you can buy cheap earplugs at almost any convenience store on Easton Avenue.

As for the attire, comfortable footwear that you don't mind getting dirty and stepped on by a hundred shoes in the mosh pit is a must. Don't show up wearing white Air Forces, unless you plan on them getting destroyed.

If you plan on going into the mosh pit, don't wear jewelry or accessories that can easily get ripped off or caught on somebody else's clothing. The last thing you want is your dangly earrings attached to somebody else's shirt or your nose ring yanked out.

As it gets cooler outside, you are likely going to wear layers anyway, but it's especially important to prepare a versatile outfit. When going down to a hot, sweaty basement, be prepared to take your jacket off.

Unlike most concerts and Rutgers sporting events, you're allowed to bring water and food to basement shows. Many venues give out water and occasionally sell foods like hot dogs, hamburgers and, a personal favorite, Chef Walton's Grilled Cheese.

You may even want to bring a small bag if you decide to buy something from the artists or bands. There are usually vendors selling thrifted clothes, jewelry and sometimes even vinyl records. Performers almost always sell merchandise like t-shirts, hats and stickers.

House rules

While basement shows take place in "venues," at the end of the day, students also rent and live in these homes, so just be mindful of that and be respectful of the space. Generally, there are a few rules that every basement show abides by.

Don't go into rooms that you know you shouldn't be in. If you need to use the bathroom, most venues have them clearly marked and available for use. If you decide to leave the house and come back, show the people at the front door the stamp or mark on your hand, so they know you already paid. Don't try forging a mark on your hand, as that never ends well.

If you see someone fall in the mosh pit, help pick them up immediately — it can get dangerous quickly. Don't hang on the ceiling pipes either. Last semester, a show at The Crypt ended early because the pipes burst.

Most importantly, if someone's making you uncomfortable, tell someone at the front door or look for the phone numbers of the housemates. They're usually posted in the basement or near the bathroom.

Lastly, listen to the people running the show — if they tell you to leave at the end of the night, then respect their wishes. Don't hang around the front of the show house when the show is already over, causing unneeded issues with the cops.

GroupMe and Instagram

Just like any other club, team or community, there is a GroupMe for New Brunswick basement shows. It's a big chat with nearly 5,000 members. Venues will post their flyers here and make announcements about changes to the show. The chat is a really simple and easy way to find out when shows are happening and to ask questions you may have, like when a specific band will be performing.

You may notice that the flyers posted in the chat do not have the address. If you want an address to a show, you can ask someone in the chat to privately send you the location or you can direct message the venue's Instagram page. Never post a show's address in the chat or you will get removed from the chat and possibly banned.

Instagram is your other option for seeing when venues are hosting shows. Every basement show venue has an Instagram account. If you don't like GroupMe or just want to show your support for basement shows then give them a follow. Remember to always tag the venues in any photos or videos you post from shows — they appreciate it more than you think. 

Must-see venues

For punk fans, venues like The Grander Canyon, The Laundromat and The Crypt were a staple in the basement show scene. Although these venues no longer exist, those who attended can always cherish the memories and friendships made at basement shows over the past few years. Luckily, there are new basement shows emerging every semester. 

Over the summer, one of the most creative-themed venues entered the scene. Sunday School takes an ironic spin on religion. The basement becomes a symbol of hell with its red satanic lighting and imagery hung up on the walls. Unlike the name says though, the venue primarily hosts shows on Friday and Saturday nights.

Another nearby venue is the The Clownhouse, which sets itself apart with its noise and screamo shows. While these genres are not for everyone, it's revitalizing to listen to something other than indie rock at a New Brunswick basement show.

The Crypt was one of the most popular basement show venues in the past couple of years. While it no longer exists, its successor, The Patio, has taken its location. The basement is relatively small, but the backyard is huge — if you're looking to socialize and hang out, it's a great spot. But if you're looking to actually see the bands up close, you better get to the basement as soon as possible.

One of the coolest venues in New Brunswick doesn't fool around with its advertising and is technically not even a basement show. The Mud House is a repurposed garage with graffiti art on the walls, strobe lighting and even a DJ booth adjacent to where the bands perform. Not to mention the venue has an awesome mascot, the Mud Monster, as seen on recent flyers.

If you're unsure whether you'll be able to handle the venues or want to ease into the show scene, attend a Demarest Hall Coffee House first. There's live music from students, it's not as overwhelming as basement shows and it's completely free! But if you're looking for something more underground, basement shows are the place to be.

Syllabus week is upon us, so if you're interested in checking out any basement shows, this weekend would be the perfect time to do so.