Survival guide for 1st-year Rutgers students

Navigating the chaos of your first year at Rutgers can be challenging — study this guide to help you pass with flying colors. – Photo by Franky Tan

Welcome to Rutgers! As a new Scarlet Knight, navigating your first year can be both exciting and overwhelming. With New Brunswick's large and diverse campus, there's always something happening, making it easy to get lost in the mix.

To help you make the most of your time here, here's a list of can't-miss events and key Rutgers terminology every first-year student should know.

Can't-Miss Events for 2024

Held every fall, the Involvement Fair is your one-stop shop for joining clubs, organizations, and student groups. With more than 500 student organizations on campus, there's something for everyone — whether you're into academic clubs, greek life, sports or community service.

Although the event has passed, clubs hold interest meetings and other events during the first few weeks of the semester to gauge student interest and showcase what their organizations have to offer. If there's a specific extracurricular you're on the fence about, regularly check Instagram or the Rutgers getINVOLVED page to see how you can find out more information.

Homecoming weekend, held this year from October 17 to 20, is another time-honored tradition at Rutgers. The weekend is filled with activities, including the Scarlet Knights football game, tailgating and the Homecoming parade.

It's a great opportunity to show your school spirit and connect with alumni. Don't forget to wear your scarlet and black!

Rutgers University Dance Marathon is one of the largest student-run philanthropies in New Jersey. The event, which is set to be held on April 5, 2025, raises funds for the Embrace Kids Foundation, which supports families of children with cancer and blood disorders.

Even if you're not a dancer, participating in or supporting the marathon is a rewarding way to make a difference. Earlier this year, Rutgers students and organizations pulled off the impressive feat of raising $560,045.49.

Rutgers Day is the biggest celebration on campus, offering everything from cultural performances to academic showcases. It's a day where the entire Rutgers community, including students, faculty, alumni and even prospective students, come together to explore the University's vast resources.

Whether you're interested in learning more about your major, enjoying food from around the world or just soaking in the Scarlet Knight spirit, this event is a must. Keep April 26, 2025, marked in your calendar.

Rutgers Terminology 101

While you might take a few language classes at Rutgers, there's another language to master — the University's unique slang.

"The Banks" refers to the area along the Raritan River, which divides the College Avenue and Livingston campuses. The "banks of the old Raritan" is also a phrase you'll hear in the Rutgers alma mater song.

The Yard @ College Avenue, often referred to as just "the Yard," is a vibrant space that includes student housing, eateries and a large lawn for events. It's a popular spot for socializing, studying and grabbing a bite between classes. It also houses one of the busiest bus stops on campus, so if you plan on catching the A, EE, F, H, LX or Weekend 1 and 2 buses for class, get there as early as possible.

"RU Screw" is a phrase every Rutgers student becomes familiar with, referring to any frustrating administrative or logistical hurdle. It can be everything from a class registration issue to an unexpected change to your schedule.

"RU RAH RAH" is a cheer that embodies the Rutgers spirit. You'll hear it at games, during pep rallies and any time Scarlet Knights are out in force. When someone shouts "RU," you shout "Rah Rah" in response.

Final Tips

While every college experience is unique, there are a few key pieces of advice every student should consider to make the most of Rutgers.

With so many clubs and organizations, it can be tempting to wait and see what your friends are doing. Don't! Getting involved early will help you make connections and feel more at home.

Rutgers is a large university spread across five campuses — the College Avenue campus, Busch campus, Livingston campus, Cook campus and Douglass campus. Take the time to explore each one to find your favorite study spots, eateries and hangout areas.

With its extensive and diverse alumni network, Rutgers is a great place to make valuable working connections that will help you find part-time jobs and internships. Consider creating a LinkedIn or Handshake account and attending the Career Fair, hosted at the Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus from September 17 to 20.

Rutgers offers a wealth of resources from academic advising to mental health services. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need help.

By keeping these events and terms in mind, you'll be well on your way to making the most out of your first year at Rutgers. Welcome to the family, and go knights!