Rutgers opens external investigation into gymnastics head coach

Rutgers hired an outside law firm to look into head gymnastics coach Umme Salim-Beasley regarding allegations of harsh treatment of the women's gymnastics team. – Photo by Katrin Bolovtsova / Pexels

Rutgers hired an external law firm, Lowenstein Sandler, for its investigation into gymnastics head coach Umme Salim-Beasley and her alleged conduct toward students on the team, according to an article by NJ Advance Media.

Led by Matthew Boxer, former New Jersey state comptroller, the firm is looking into the culture cultivated at the women's gymnastics team and confirming the validity of the claims of bullying and disregard for the athletes' physical and mental health, according to NJ Advance Media. Boxer was also involved in a previous investigation into abuse allegations in the University's softball program in 2019.

This outside probe comes after the University's own internal dig into a possible relationship between Salim-Beasley and former athletic director Pat Hobbs. Hobbs was noted to have been a frequent visitor to many of the meets and practices and resigned on August 16.

In a statement given to NJ Advance Media, the University said that it is paying Lowenstein Sandler at least $470,000 with the aim of finishing the examination quickly and thoroughly, including the rates for two months and a retaining fee of $50,000.

This case's monthly rate is a jump from the $400,000 investigation on the softball program that lasted seven months. Amid rhetoric around alleged post-pandemic budgeting strain, it is undetermined whether this expenditure is significant for the University's finances and where the funds are sourced.