Rutgers men's soccer fails to capitalize on offensive chances in defeat to No. 7 Ohio State

Graduate student forward Ola Maeland attempted four shots in the Rutgers men's soccer team's loss to Ohio State on Sunday night. – Photo by Christian Sanchez

The offense was there but not the finishing in the Rutgers men's soccer team's 3-0 loss to Ohio State on Sunday night. The Scarlet Knights (3-5-1, 0-2-0) put 7 of their 13 shots on target but could not find the back of the net against a red-hot Buckeyes (7-0-1, 2-0-0) side.

Junior goalkeeper Ciaran Dalton was called upon in the 3rd minute, pushing a low shot from David Ajagbe away for a corner kick. On that corner, the ball eventually fell to the feet of Michael Adedokun on the edge of the box, who rattled his shot off the crossbar.

Rutgers had its first big chance of the game in the 11th minute. With two players defending him, graduate student forward Ola Maeland did well to create space for a shot and force No. 7 Ohio State goalkeeper Max Trejo into a save, deflecting the ball onto the left post and out.

The Buckeyes struck first in the 31st minute. Deylen Vellios played a ball into the box to David Wrona, who backheeled it to Parker Grinstead. Grinstead hit it first time and rolled it into the back of the net, leaving Dalton flat-footed.

The Knights instantly went the other way, with junior forward Ian Abbey sending a ball over the top to send Maeland through on goal. Maeland burned past Ohio State centerback Siggi Magnusson and forced Trejo into a diving save.

Senior midfielder Curt Calov showed his attacking threat as the first half went on, placing two shots on goal in short succession.

Despite being down 1-0, Rutgers had many more scoring chances, placing 6 of its 10 shots on target. The Buckeyes had seven shots but placed just two on target, one of which was the goal.

As the second half lingered on, Ohio State found its offensive momentum.

In the 60th minute, a fast break saw Ashton Bilow hit the post with Calov receiving the ball off the deflection. Calov instantly gave the ball away to Luciano Pechota, who played it back to Anthony Samways. Samways crossed it into the box to Ajagbe, who headed it home for his 4th goal of the season and made it 2-0.

That goal sapped the Knights' energy, who played dejected and tired in the final 20 minutes of play.

The Buckeyes put the game to bed with a counter-attack goal in the 82nd minute. Dalton saved Adedokun's shot with his hand, but Pechota tapped the rebound in for the 3rd and final goal of the night.

It was Ohio State's seventh straight win and third straight shutout. The Buckeyes remain undefeated after starting the season with a draw.

Rutgers will return home to Yurcak Field on Busch campus to face Michigan. The game will kick off at 4 p.m. on Saturday and be broadcast on Big Ten Network and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @MatthewMangam on X.