Rutgers men's soccer faces toughest test yet on road against No. 7 Ohio State

Junior goalkeeper Ciaran Dalton will be a player to watch when the Rutgers men's soccer team battles with Ohio State on Sunday. – Photo by Christian Sanchez

The 2024 season is ramping up for the Rutgers men's soccer team. The Scarlet Knights (3-4-1, 0-1-0) have already faced tough opponents through their first eight matches, but a road contest against Ohio State on Sunday will be their most challenging yet.

The Buckeyes (6-0-1, 1-0-0) had a disappointing 2023 season. They finished third-to-last in the Big Ten standings but had a positive end to the season, reaching the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament.

This year, No. 7 Ohio State looks like a completely different team despite returning many players. The Buckeyes remain undefeated and have won six straight games for the first time since 2015. Ohio State is ranked nationally in the top 10 for the first time since the 2010 season, and its No. 7 ranking is the highest in program history.

So, what has led to the Buckeyes' strong start? Stout defense and multiple goal scorers. Four players have at least 3 goals and two assists, with veteran Marko Borkovic leading the team with 10 points. Freshmen Nick Skubis and David Ajagbe have also chipped in, combining for 5 goals. Skubis has been named Big Ten Freshman of the Week twice.

As for the defense, Ohio State has shut out four opponents and only conceded 4 goals. Patrick McLaughlin and Max Trejo have shared the starting goalkeeper spot, but the former boasts the better stats. McLaughlin has allowed just 1 goal and has saved 90 percent of the shots that have come his way. Trejo was named Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Week after his performance in the team's 1-0 win over Butler.

The Buckeyes are coming off a statement 5-0 victory over Penn State for their first conference win, headlined by a brace from Luciano Pechota. Ohio State outshot the Nittany Lions (2-4-0, 0-2-0) 22-5 and had an 18-1 advantage on corner kicks, dominating from start to finish.

On Tuesday, Rutgers ended its three-game losing streak with a 1-1 tie against Yale. The Knights attempted a season-high 20 shots and placed 11 of them on target but struggled to be clinical in front of the goal.

To succeed against the Buckeyes, Rutgers will need to play strong defense and take advantage of its scoring opportunities. Senior defender Joey Zalinsky will be back from suspension after receiving a red card in the 3-1 loss against Seton Hall. Junior goalkeeper Ciaran Dalton will likely be called upon to make crucial saves in the match.

The game will begin at 6 p.m. on Sunday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @MatthewMangam on X.