Professors, students reflect on Katherine Tai at Rutgers Business School

U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai emphasized the value of inclusivity in business and trade while speaking with a cohort of Rutgers Business School—Newark faculty and students. – Photo by @AmbassadorTai / X

U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai visited Rutgers Business School—Newark to discuss the importance of inclusivity, community and sustainability in global trade to expand small and diverse businesses and the communities they serve, according to a press release

Francine Pfeiffer, the University's senior vice president of government relations, following discussions with Tai, reached out to the Rutgers—Newark chancellor's office and University officials to arrange the ambassador's visit to the Newark campus.

The meeting, moderated by Kevin Lyons, an associate professor of professional practice, included deans and department chairs in public policy, business and economics.

Despite tight deadlines, Lyons allowed selected faculty and students to address global trade policies with an emphasis on improving business prospects for communities. Tai discussed making trade accessible to small and diverse businesses to improve the economic and social prospects of communities across the globe.

"(Tai) was extremely passionate about inclusiveness, community and sustainability being part of global trade," Lyons said.

Key topics of the discussion emphasized the importance of inclusivity in trade policies under Tai's position as a U.S. trade representative. Aman Goswami, a Ph.D. candidate in supply chain management, attended the event and said it related to his own studies.

"It was quite enlightening to see how U.S. trade policy initiatives are aligning with broader goals of inclusivity and sustainability, moving away from the colonial practices of the past," Goswami said.

At the event, Tai highlighted her commitment to ensuring that U.S. trade policies create opportunities for a more diverse demographic to improve the lives of individuals and their communities.

Lyons elaborated that diversity and quality are both tenets of business decision-making. But significant work remains in diversifying global business to better reflect communities, culture and society, he said.

"The school's strong emphasis on combining holistic academic knowledge along with practical experiences, such as the panel discussion with (Tai), has been invaluable in broadening my perspectives," Goswami said. "It would be remiss if I didn't thank the organizers of the session and my professors, whose ongoing support plays a vital role in my growth."