Not everyone's cup of tea: Did Rutgers need another Akihi?

Rutgers students returned to Livingston Student Center this semester to discover their beloved Dunkin' had been torn down and is set to be replaced by a new Akihi Bubble Tea. – Photo by Joel Pesantez

Students returning to Rutgers this semester were greeted with a change to the Livingston Student Center — Dunkin' has been replaced by Akihi Bubble Tea. 

Akihi is a great store for boba enthusiasts. But, it's a misstep to replace a coffee and breakfast chain with a bubble tea chain. The two stores feature a distinct menu that simply cannot be compared.

For students looking for a quick cup of coffee, breakfast or a range of espresso options to fuel their day, Dunkin' was the place to go. 

The menu offers a variety of beverage options, including hot and cold coffee, teas and frozen drinks. If you're in the mood for breakfast, you can grab sandwiches, hash browns, bagels, muffins or donuts. 

Considering Dunkin' was within walking distance of the residence halls and Livingston Dining Commons, students could easily grab a cup of coffee to fuel up before a long day of classes or a late-night study session.

While Dunkin' features a diverse menu with coffee and breakfast, Akihi largely serves sweets and snacks.

For beverages, the menu features specialty bubble teas, milk tea, fruit teas and frozen drinks. Food options include, but are not limited to, crispy chicken, takoyaki, bubble waffles and ice cream. 

If you're looking to treat yourself, Akihi is a great option. But, there's already an Akihi located at The Yard @ College Avenue. If Rutgers was attempting to replace Dunkin' with a similar eatery, there were certainly better options.

There is already a Starbucks located on the College Avenue campus, and a Dunkin' located right off campus, next to the New Brunswick Station, but there's no sign of any Tim Hortons. The Canadian-based coffee chain is quickly expanding in the U.S., especially in New Jersey — as of 2024, there are eight.

Like Dunkin', the menu offers a variety of beverage options, including hot and cold coffee, espresso and frozen drinks. For breakfast, you can also grab sandwiches, baked goods, donuts and munchkins, also known as Timbits. 

Plus, unique to Tim Hortons, the menu has a selection of Iced Capps or frozen coffee drinks. 

For a smaller chain with more artisan espresso selections, Hidden Grounds is another quality option. 

With two stores already located just outside of the College Avenue campus on Easton Avenue, Rutgers students may already be familiar with the coffee house. It was founded in New Brunswick in 2013 and now has eight locations in New Jersey and New York. 

Hidden Grounds has many different types of brews, hot and cold. They also have New Orleans-style coffee, chai drinks and pour-overs. In terms of food, their menu features specialty donuts, avocado toast, bagels, baked goods and a few lunch sandwiches. 

A coffee and breakfast chain born right here in New Brunswick would make a perfect addition to the campus. 

Krispy Kreme, another popular bakery chain, wouldn't have felt out of place.

Regardless, if Akihi Bubble Tea is willing to change up its menu, there's a big chance it can join the Rutgers lexicon, right alongside RU Hungry. Based on a sign located in the Livingston Student Center, announcing that the first 200 drinks will be served free of charge, they're starting on the right foot.