No. 13 Rutgers field hockey blows lead, falls to No. 7 Maryland in Big Ten opener

Freshman midfielder Anna Cogdell scored a goal and assisted in the Rutgers field hockey team's loss to Maryland to begin Big Ten play. – Photo by Christian Sanchez

The Rutgers field hockey team did not start its two-game weekend on the front foot, falling to Maryland 3-2 on the road Friday afternoon. The Scarlet Knights (3-3, 0-1) lost in brutal fashion, blowing their lead in the third period, and the Terrapins (5-2, 1-0) ultimately came out on top.

Redshirt senior forward Bridy Molyneaux was first to get on the score sheet 10 minutes into the first period, converting No. 13 Rutgers’ first shot of the game. It was Molyneaux’s 1st goal of the season, which freshman midfielder Anna Cogdell assisted.

Aside from the goal and a couple of penalty corners, it was a quiet first period for both sides. Aside from the aforementioned goal, no shots were taken, and the second period was no different. 

The Knights went into the half with a 1-0 lead, which proved to not be enough. 

Redshirt junior back Puck Winter started the second half with a crucial defensive save before the Knights conceded the equalizer to No. 7 Maryland, with Hope Rose knotting things up at 1-1 in the dying seconds of the third period.

With the recent goal and all the momentum heading into the fourth period, Maryland was primed to take both the lead and the conference-opening win. 

Just 7 minutes into the fourth, Rutgers committed a crucial penalty, which led to a successful penalty shot from Josie Hollamon, giving the Terrapins a 2-1 lead.

Then, just 3 minutes later, redshirt senior goalkeeper Sophia Howard conceded her third and final goal to Kylee Niswonger

A quiet rest of the fourth led to Cogdell picking up a consolation goal, as the Knights could not build off the late tally.

Rutgers will now travel back to Piscataway and attempt to bounce back against in-state rival Princeton, ranked No. 18. The game will start at noon on Sunday and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus.

For more updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Philip Jaccoma's work, follow @PJaccoma on X.