NFL star, former Rutgers running back Isiah Pacheco suffers injury, out for multiple weeks

Kansas City Chiefs star and former Rutgers running back Isiah Pacheco will hit the shelf after suffering a fractured fibula in Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals. – Photo by @BleacherReport / X

With hopes for a promising NFL season, Kansas City Chiefs star and former Rutgers running back Isiah Pacheco suffered an injury in Week 2 that will sideline him for multiple weeks.

Pacheco, who rushed for 90 yards on 19 carries while adding five catches for 21 yards in a victory over the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, limped off the field after being tackled in the fourth quarter.

His status at the time was unclear, but a report surfaced that Chiefs head coach Andy Reid spoke to and consoled an emotional Pacheco at his locker postgame. He was seen outside of the stadium in a walking boot and crutches, hinting at a potential major injury.

"I know it won't be this week, and it'll probably be more than that, obviously," Reid said Monday morning on the timeframe of his star running back's return from injury. "It's going to take a little bit of time here."

Hours later, it was announced that Pacheco would not see game action for at least six to eight weeks as he would undergo surgery this week to repair a fractured fibula. The Vineland, New Jersey, product hopes he can return sometime this season.

Kansas City will surely miss having the hard-running Pacheco on its roster. In 33 total games played, Pacheco has totaled 1,900 rushing yards on 409 career carries.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Josh Meyers' work, follow @JoshCMeyers on X.