Newark campus adds fitness, art to mental health program

Rutgers—Newark students now have access to programming by the New Jersey Performing Arts Center and the campus's recreation to support student mental health. – Photo by Alex Kenney

Rutgers—Newark has recently added arts and physical activity to its Power Your Potential (PYP) program, according to a press release.

In addition to the Togetherall peer-to-peer program that was implemented in February, as well as existing teletherapy and special-interest communities, the extension to the PYP program is intended partly for students who come from cultural backgrounds that stigmatize talk therapy, according to Jean-Carlos López, the Newark campus's assistant vice chancellor of Health and Wellness.

López, who is of Dominican heritage, said in the release that his cultural background did not allow for open discussion of mental health.

"One of the most important variables in treatment is culture," he said. "With counseling, there can be a sense of 'Why would you talk to a stranger about that?'"

Physical components of the program feature Zumba, yoga and massage classes in collaboration with Rutgers—Newark Recreation, according to the program's website. It also added new artistic outlets in partnership with the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, including creative arts workshops and free admission for select students to certain events.

The additions are meant to widen the scope of the PYP initiative, as López acknowledged that many students have familial and work obligations on top of their education and mental health. Students are increasingly prioritizing mental health and higher education institutions' handling of it, López said, which the program seeks to facilitate on a $500,000 state grant.