Two motorcycle thefts in 3 days on Livingston campus

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) investigated two motor vehicle thefts that occurred on Livingston campus between Sunday and Tuesday. – Photo by Olivia Thiel

A Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) investigation raised that a U-Haul moving truck may be involved in two motorcycle thefts this week.

On Monday, a motorcycle theft occurred in Rutgers Parking Lot 101 on Livingston campus, according to a University-wide alert.

The individual, who is affiliated with Rutgers, said that he left his motorcycle at 1:00 p.m. and found it stolen at 9:00 p.m. when he came back to the parking lot. 

A second motorcycle theft was reported half a mile away from Lot 101 in Lot 103, also on the Livingston campus, between Sunday afternoon and early Tuesday evening, according to a second University-wide email disseminated on Tuesday night.

The victim, who is also affiliated with Rutgers, reported that his red 2006 Ducati went missing in his absence. It is not confirmed whether the cases were connected or how many perpetrators were involved in either case.

While the description of the culprit was not released in Monday's statement, the RUPD asks anyone with information regarding the situation to contact its Detective Bureau.

The RUPD also asks students to be cautious around campus by parking in well-lit locations and taking all valuables and their keys with them.