Make your commute count with these pop songs, podcasts

Commutes to school don't have to be boring or draining — buckle up and energize yourself with these songs and podcasts. – Photo by Van Aileen

One issue known all too well among the Rutgers—New Brunswick student body is the excruciating amount of time spent in traffic. Even more so if you're a commuter.

Whether you're stuck bumper to bumper on Route 18, cruising down George Street or making your way back home from an endless day of classes, here's a playlist full of songs and podcasts that will help make your drive easier and more enjoyable.

"Santeria" by Sublime

Even though "Santeria" is sure to make you want to get up and dance, make sure to stay in your vehicle and keep your hands at 10 and two.

This 90s hit has a classic beat that has kept this song in popularity for more than 20 years. Released as a single off of Sublime's self-titled album "Sublime," this song combines alternative rock, reggae and ska to create a masterpiece that dominated the charts.

"Die With A Smile" by Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars

Any song that has Lady Gaga on it is a good song. A song that has the musical genius of both Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars? It's hard to articulate just how powerful the collaboration of two of our generation's greatest artists is.

"Die With a Smile" has already surpassed 320 million streams on Spotify, a testament to the melodic wonder coming from the duo. This song was the perfect choice to bring Mars out of his three-year hiatus from his last project, "An Evening with Silk Sonic," and it's a perfect choice to listen to on your drive.

Other honorable song recommendations are Gaga's "Million Reasons" if you're looking to belt, and Mars' "Smokin Out The Window" with Anderson .Paak for good vibes all around.

"What's Up?" by 4 Non Blondes

"What's Up?" might just be the best song to scream out the window.

This song is the personification of a clear summer day, reminiscent of blue skies and 75-degree weather. Whether you need to yell out of catharsis, joy or anger, this chorus gives you the opportunity to do so.

With a great chord progression and energetic lyrics, this song is bound to make your commute even a tad less stressful.

"OPEN A WINDOW (feat. Tyler, The Creator)" by Rex Orange County

Rex Orange County has a voice smooth as butter, and paired with an electronic beat and the stylings of Tyler, The Creator, it makes for a perfect airy blend that you'll be dying to put on your car playlist.

"OPEN A WINDOW (feat. Tyler, The Creator)" is a collaboration that truly features the best of both artists.

"Love Me Harder" by Ariana Grande and The Weeknd

It would be a disservice to the community and to Ms. Grande herself to not include at least one song from her discography. Grande's music has flooded radio stations and the cultural conscience for more than a decade. Some may consider her music overplayed, but in reality, it goes to show that she is releasing consistently beloved music. 

"Love Me Harder," in particular, is what many would consider to be a perfect pop song, and encapsulates such a vivid and nostalgic period of not only Grande's career. If you're looking for a blast back to when times were simpler — 2014 — consider pressing play on this hit.

"Space Song" by Beach House

If you're looking for a slower, more contemplative song to listen to on your commute, look no further than "Space Song."

With intentionally repetitive lyrics like, "Fall back into place" and "Somewhere in these eyes," "Space Song" allows for just the right amount of disassociation needed to get through traffic and long drives.

"SmartLess"

If you're not into music, podcasts are another very entertaining way to keep yourself occupied on a drive. Instead of sorting through what seems to be the never-ending list of television rewatch and political commentary podcasts, "SmartLess" makes for an engaging show that requires no prior knowledge.

This hilarious podcast, hosted by Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Sean Hayes, actors you may know from classics such as "Arrested Development" and "Will and Grace," offers more than the average interview. Each week, one of the three hosts invites a guest onto the show that neither of the other two know about, all for them to engage in what they call "thoughtful dialogue and organic hilarity."

Some of their guests include Will Ferrell, Paul McCartney, Megan Rapinoe and even the current President of the United States, Joe Biden.

"Stuff You Should Know"

If you're looking to use your commute to expand your intellectual horizons and learn a thing or two, the "Stuff You Should Know" podcast, hosted by Josh Clark and Chuck Bryant is a great place to start. The duo covers a broad variety of topics, giving you plenty of time to memorize factoids that'll impress friends and classmates.

As they so eloquently put it, "If you've ever wanted to know about champagne, satanism, the Stonewall uprising, chaos theory, LSD, El Nino, true crime and Rosa Parks, then look no further. Josh and Chuck have you covered."

"Las Culturistas with Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang"

"Las Culturistas," or "Las Cultch," as hosts Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang call it, is an upbeat and spunky podcast dedicated to keeping you in the know on what's new in today's popular culture.

Beyond interviews with the hottest celebrities, "Las Culturistas" offers insightful perspectives from its hosts regarding the things that influenced them both as young people. It also explores their efforts as adults to get involved in the culture around them — hence the name, "Culturistas."

Whether you're looking to clear your mind, peak your curiosity or listen to something new, this collection of songs and podcasts should give you something to look forward to on your commute to and from New Brunswick.