JOHNSON: Social media trends cramp student fashion

From Tumblr girls to clean girls, these social media fashion trends are harmful for college students. – Photo by @officially.val/Instagram

No matter how much social media changes, younger generations still fall prey to unforgiving digital trends.

First, there was Tumblr, one of the most infamous social media platforms of all. Tumblr influenced a generation of young women to wear distressed black skinny jeans, Dr. Martens and Brandy Melville alien tank tops. But Tumblr is not just infamous for popularizing basic outfits. It was a breeding ground for one of the most damaging "aesthetics" to date.

Being a Tumblr user in the 2010s meant being constantly bombarded with girls presenting their thigh gaps, sharp collarbones and cigarettes as accessories that could make an otherwise basic outfit "inspiring."

This became so mainstream and glamorized that popular rapper at the time, G-Eazy, released a now platinum song, "Tumblr Girls," with lines expressing his love for Tumblr girls who have "skinny waists and drug habits."

Girls who could not afford the latest micro-trend clothing or fit into the newest denim shorts were pushed to the outskirts. They did not get to feel the thrill when G-Eazy was singing because they knew it was never directed toward girls like them.

Eventually, the Tumblr era ended, making room for its more recent replacement: Pinterest. The culture has shifted, and the internet is no longer the wild west it used to be. Pinterest redirects searches that include terms like "thinspo" to resources meant to help those with eating disorders. They are actively trying to avoid the mistakes that Tumblr made.

But the problems are still present. What has replaced the blatantly toxic community that thrived on Tumblr is much subtler.

Instead of girls boasting a lifestyle of under-eating and over-partying, they have moved to a much more healthy and mindful aesthetic. The grungy 2010s have been replaced with the simple, preppy 2020s.

This new popular image consists of neutral colors, minimalism and comfortable athleisure. The catch? You can only truly achieve this "clean girl aesthetic" if you have a naturally "clean" look. This is code for skinny, white and rich.

Today, these popular fads are not being spread by one-off pictures posted by random users. They are popularized by influencers who perfectly represent the "clean girl" aesthetic. They make videos spilling their beauty secrets, from hair care and skincare to workout routines and outfit lookbooks. They create the illusion that their beauty and status are attainable to their impressionable viewers, but the reality is that either you have it or you do not.

Once again, the most popular and sought-after way of presenting oneself is only meant for those who fit into a very restrictive mold. The girls who want so badly to fit in but were not born in the "right" body constantly find themselves picking apart their identity, only to realize it's no use.

This issue is not confined to the Internet. College campuses are prime examples of this issue. College students are falling victim to the ever-changing aesthetics. This is evident just by looking around a full classroom. Girls are bound to be sporting the newest sleek hairstyles or popular overpriced water bottles.

College students are pressured to come to class in outfits similar to the ones on their social media timelines. What really matters is focusing on learning, but how can someone focus if they are worried about buying the new viral jeans?

This cycle of unhealthy standards and exclusion is bound to repeat unless today's youth make important changes.

They should start by finding an identity outside of social media. Instead of using online trends to dictate every aspect of oneself, being more introspective could lead to a pivotal improvement.

Social media does not have to be this boogeyman that ruins the self-image of young people. It can be a very positive tool. Tumblr, for example, brought together teens worldwide because they enjoyed the same music, shows and books.

These platforms would be better off if they did more to amplify users' existing passions rather than assigning them a personality.

Lina Johnson is a sophomore in the School of Arts and Science majoring in Communications. Johnson’s column, “The View from Rutgers,” runs on alternate Mondays.

*Columns, cartoons, letters and commentaries do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Letters to the editor must be between 350 and 600 words. Commentaries must be between 600 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com and eic@dailytargum.com to be considered for publication.