Eulogizing Brower Commons: Eat your heart out with these iconic dining hall memories

Although Brower Commons no longer graces the College Avenue campus, students can still relive these important moments to satisfy their nostalgia. – Photo by Joel Pesantez

The Daily Targum recently reported that Brower Dining Hall, which unexpectedly shut down last school year, will be demolished. This was particularly disheartening for students and faculty who regularly attended gatherings on the steps of Brower Commons or ate meals there. 

Brower stands apart from its replacement on the College Avenue campus, The Atrium and the other dining halls, not just because of its unsettling food stations, but also due to its aura and unique history. Unfortunately, many students will never have the chance to experience this momentous dining hall. 

Whether you're aching for another Brower hour or eager to sink your teeth into a piece of Rutgers lore, here are some of the most compelling events that have occurred at Brower.

Barstool Brower pizza review 

During a press trip to Rutgers University in 2022, Dave Portnoy, the founder of Barstool Sports, made a highly anticipated visit to Brower Dining Hall. Portnoy, who's infamous for his "One Bite Pizza Reviews," reviewed his second college dining hall, thanks to Rutgers students in his Instagram comments daring him to try the food.

Some students informed Portnoy that the pizza at Brower was the best at Rutgers, while other students warned him that it was the only edible thing in all of the dining halls.

Immediately after taking his first bite, Portnoy said that the dish was bland and tasted like cardboard. He also compared Brower's pizza to a New York dollar slice, except a very bad one.

With no reluctance, Portnoy gave the pizza a brutally low score of 1.8 out of 10. His score was met with laughter from students in the video, and Portnoy informed them that he was not joking about how terrible it was.

While Portnoy wasn't a fan, his visit to Brower serves as a reminder of the unforgettable pizza, for better or worse.

Anthpo disrupts anti-mask protest

Anthony Potero, also known as “Anthpo," is a Rutgers alum, and another social media star who has made an entertaining appearance at Brower. In 2021, Anthpo filmed a YouTube video, which now has nearly a million views, of him protesting an anti-mask rally.

At this time, Brower and all of the Rutgers dining halls required students to wear face masks when they weren't actively eating food at a table.

At the beginning of the video, Potero discusses the beauty of a public forum like Brower Commons.

While everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, he also has a right to not tolerate foolish political views. He then gets on a megaphone while wearing an American flag face mask and hands out free face masks to students outside of Brower.

Anthpo carried out several more shenanigans to get under the anti-maskers' skin, including playing with Beyblades with students, shouting quotes from "SpongeBob SquarePants" and asking them who their favorite "Pokémon" is.

Brower Commons has a rich history as a key site for protests and social movements, and Potero's video highlights the power and passion of the student body.

Brower catches flames

While many internet personalities have stopped by Brower, the most unimaginable and ridiculous incident to ever happen at Brower was a fire.

In 2004, NBC News reported on a fire that engulfed the second floor of the building. While it caused some stress and panic, thankfully, none of the 100 or more students in the building were injured.

Still, the incident drastically changed the lives of students for a few weeks — a temporary dining hall was opened across the street in the College Avenue Gym. This October will mark the twentieth anniversary of the fire that lit up Brower.

It's a miracle that Brower was able to stay open for another two decades. Nonetheless, it is time to bid adieu to Brower Commons. 

If you're still itching to unlock more of Brower's history, there are numerous other sources, particularly on YouTube. A notable video titled, "Our Brower - A Dining Hall Autopsy," is a thirty-minute student-made documentary that covers everything you need to know about the beloved dining hall. 

While current and future Scarlet Knights will come to appreciate The Atrium and the various dining halls across Rutgers campuses, alumni will always share a special bond over the landmark that is Brower Commons.