Ditch that struggle bus: Discover new ways of getting around

Instead of waiting for a weekend bus, try getting around campus another way. – Photo by Uriel Isaacs

Now that the school year is in full swing, students across all five campuses have experienced the crushing disappointment of waiting for a Rutgers bus — only to find it full. Even worse, you may be forced to cram yourself into a pungent horde of deflated commuters, gripping onto dear life and praying that the bus driver's braking doesn't cause a domino effect that topples everyone over. 

Rutgers buses have been a consistent problem for decades and now more than ever, students are fed up and looking for alternative transportation options. Here are a few ideas to get you on the go without the woes.

Walking

This may seem obvious, but there's truly something beautiful about just taking the time to walk around campus and enjoying the space around you. It may not be the quickest method, but walking allows for a sense of freedom as you navigate across campus.

On top of that, walking is far more environmentally friendly since it doesn't rely on a massive gas-guzzling machine. Rutgers has always been trying to move further toward the goal of carbon neutrality and taking steps to be less reliant on the buses, like walking, would massively benefit this cause.

Not to mention, choosing to walk around your campus helps alleviate the buses' constant crowding problems. So, make an effort to learn more about the campus by walking around and providing a tiny but valuable service to the larger Rutgers community.

Skateboarding

If you're in a time crunch, try learning to skateboard and shave minutes off your commute in style. 

Skateboarding is an acquired skill that takes a decent amount of practice, but once you understand the basics, maneuvering across Rutgers' vast swathes of land becomes second nature. 

The prospect of skateboarding may seem daunting and dangerous at first — because, quite frankly, it is — but once you've gotten the hang of it, it makes campus travel dramatically easier.

Biking

Seeing people bike around Rutgers is rare, which is a shame since it can make commutes across exceptionally vast areas, like Busch, Cook and Douglass campuses, much less draining.

Biking is also a great way to kill two birds with one stone — it serves as a mode of transport and physical exercise, just in case you don't have the time to hit the gym. 

In case you're unsure where to go, Rutgers has already designed a path map if you need help figuring out what's safe to ride on. 

So, if you haven't "pedaled to the metal" yet, pick up or rent a bike and see how much it'll improve your commute.

Ride a Veo scooter

Even if you've only spent a few days on campus, you've likely seen hundreds of Veo scooters scattered around. Just by using your phone, you can pay for the privilege to ride one.

Since these scooters require individual payments, they may not be feasible as daily drivers for your commute. But, if you're rushing to get to class or getting a quick bite, look around and see if you can spot a Veo scooter.

Carpool with a friend

If none of these options work for you, ask one of your commuter friends for a ride and see if you can carpool to class together. 

Even if you're someone with a car, carpooling is an easy way to decrease your gas emissions massively. Many college students usually commute alone anyway, so try asking around and see if you can keep one of them company.

No matter how you choose to get around New Brunswick, consider saving some time and reducing stress by not relying solely on the buses.