'Blackout will turn Washington to a black hole': Targum predicts Rutgers-Washington

The Daily Targum predicts the Rutgers football team to remain scarlet-hot in Friday night's Blackout game. – Photo by @RFootball / X

'Twas the night before the Rutgers football Friday night blackout game, when all through the campus, tens of thousands of students and fans awaited the undefeated Scarlet Knights (3-0, 0-0) welcoming Big Ten newbie Washington to SHI Stadium on Busch campus.

Friday's contest will be Rutgers' first Big Ten game of the season, while the Huskies (3-1, 1-0) will be taking on their second straight conference opponent after beating Northwestern on the road last week.

The Daily Targum's sports staff had some red-hot predictions heading into the Knights' win over Virginia Tech last weekend — this week, we're looking for some white-hot predictions.

Josh Meyers, head sports editor: 

"Rutgers fans remember the 2022 Big Ten blackout game as well as another Big Ten night game that year, and they probably want to forget those losses against Iowa and Nebraska. But this team has a much better roster than in 2022 and will be heading into their Friday night matchup with a clean 3-0 record and high aspirations."

"In front of a sold-out, raucous crowd, the Knights will show out in SHI Stadium. Fittingly, it will be the Dark Side defense that hammers down the Huskies with a defensive touchdown as well as well as three sacks. On the offensive side of the ball, senior quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis will make up for his no touchdowns against Virginia Tech with two passing touchdowns — one going to sophomore wide receiver Ian Strong. Rutgers beats Washington 23-17."

Camden Markel, associate sports editor:

"This may be the biggest game for Rutgers in years. If you're in Jersey and not at this game Friday night, c'mon man, it's going to be electric."

"This feels eerily similar to the 2022 Friday night blackout game when the Scarlet Knights had the entire crowd behind them and fell short against Nebraska. With perhaps even more hype this time around, I think Rutgers will actually get it done this time and take down last season's National Championship runner-ups."

"The Knights score a defensive/special teams touchdown in a messy game. Kaliakmanis throws one interception but throws two touchdowns and plays an otherwise clean game. Junior kicker Jai Patel nails a more than 50-yard field goal. Washington quarterback Will Rogers will throw for at least 250 yards. Rutgers pulls off a 20-15 win, with the Huskies scoring three field goals with one touchdown and a failed two-point conversion sealing their fate."

Matthew Mangam, associate sports editor:

"23-17 Rutgers wins. Friday's Blackout will turn Washington to a black hole. Patel nails three field goals and senior wide receiver Dymere Miller scores a touchdown."

Brian Delk, editor-in-chief:

"Rutgers is on a scarlet-hot streak and will continue on blackout Friday against the Huskies. Miller will have a standout performance with at least 50 yards, with Kaliakmanis throwing for 200 yards Friday night. I expect a close 35-28 win for Rutgers."

Evan Leong, head photo editor:

"The Scarlet Knights' offense will struggle against Washington's stout defense, but they will win a tough battle at home. Though the Knights lack big play explosion through the air, Kaliakmanis has been efficient, and senior running back Kyle Monangai has been explosive in the run game. Monangai will score two touchdowns in a 14-10 win for Rutgers."

James Mertz, contributing writer:

"Rutgers beats Washington 27-20. In what is expected to be an electric atmosphere for the blackout inside SHI Stadium, the Knights will feed off the energy of the crowd and start their conference schedule with a win."

"I foresee the Rutgers offense to be able to move the ball with the same ease that it did versus Virginia Tech last week even against a tough Huskies defense led by defensive coordinator Steve Belichick. There will be a healthy dose of not just Monangai, who will gallop for at least 100 yards, but also junior runningback Samuel Brown V who will go for 50 yards of his own on the ground."

"Huskies quarterback Rogers is an air-raid type quarterback, which bodes well for the Knights front seven with the likes of senior defensive lineman Aaron Lewis to record his first sack of the season. Rutgers stays undefeated and improves to 4-0."

Anthony Palumbo, contributing writer:

"Rutgers 27, Washington 24. The Huskies' defense is strong, and they have a good air raid offense, which Rutgers may struggle against. The Knights will ground and pound to grind out the win and will make at least two field goals."

Nicholas Hart, contributing writer:

"Rutgers is in a good place so far this season and needs to ride the momentum of its record and the crowd come Friday night. Washington has a strong defense, only giving up approximately 10 points per game, so Rutgers has to be sharp offensively."

"Early on, it seems that Kaliakmanis has found his favorite receiver in Millier, who I think will go for more than 65 yards in the receiving game. Defensively, Rutgers still has not gotten to the quarterback, but this Washington offensive line has struggled so far this year, and I think senior defensive lineman Malcolm Ray will come away with at least one sack. As far as a final score prediction, Rutgers comes out of this one victorious 24-17."

Jack Rabenhorst, contributing writer:

"Rutgers wins 27-23. Monangai rushes for more than 80 and a touchdown. Kaliakmanis passes for more than 150 yards. Big Rutgers dub."

Philip Jaccoma, contributing writer:

"Rutgers wins 30-28. With the help of Brown, the run game returns to form and can get more than 100 rushing yards. Kaliakmanis plays turnover-free, which ends up being the X-factor in this more offense-dominated game."

Jonathan Vasquez, contributing writer:

"No idea how to go about this game, will definitely be the lowest-scoring game for Rutgers this season. I'm predicting 24-13, with Rutgers' touchdowns being a fumble return, Monangai touchdown and an Athan throw. Rutgers will score first and lead the entire game. Halftime should be 10-7 Knights. With only two starters back from last season for Washington, this should be a win for Rutgers and a comeback game for Monangai going for more than 125 yards on the ground on at least 15 carries."

The game will kick off at 8 p.m. and be broadcast nationally on FOX.