Ambushed Akron: Three takeaways from Rutgers football's stomping of Zips

Senior running back Kyle Monangai once again was a force to be reckoned with for the Rutgers football team against Akron. – Photo by Christian Sanchez

The Rutgers football team dominated Akron in a 49-17 victory over the Zips (0-2, 0-0). The Scarlet Knights (2-0, 0-0) have now combined for 93 points in their first two games of the 2024 season.

Here are three takeaways from Rutgers’ 32-point win.

Kyle Monangai showcases his star power once again

With 208 rushing yards on the day, senior running back Kyle Monangai has etched his name in stone for the Knights. His career-high puts him at the ninth spot on the program's single-game rushing yards leaderboard.

“That’s cool,” Monangai said of his new placement with other program greats. “But, I’m just trying to be the best version of myself, best teammate, best leader I can be in the next moment.”

It was also the second time Monangai recorded a hat trick in touchdowns.

At the end of the first quarter, the Roseland, New Jersey, product scored a three-yard touchdown to give Rutgers a 7-0 lead. Right before the touchdown, Monangai galloped for 46 yards to put his team in the red zone.

The Knights’ second score overall - a touchdown pass that freshman wide receiver KJ Duff brought in on a deflection - was also set up by a big run by Rutgers’ best offensive weapon. This time, Monangai exploded for a 62-yard gain to put his team back into the red zone, where senior quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis and Duff eventually connected for six.

Monangai’s second touchdown came with nine seconds to go in the second quarter on a one-yard rush to send the Knights into the locker room with a 21-3 lead at halftime.

Early in the third quarter, Monangai set a career-high in rushing yards, eclipsing the 165-yard mark he totaled against Temple last season and Akron last week.

And then, on the same drive Monangai hit the 200-yard mark, he punched in his third touchdown of the game to give Rutgers a 28-10 lead over the Zips.

Because the Knights were up by multiple possessions, there was no need to wear out Monangai, who was replaced by freshman running back Antwan Raymond for the majority of the second half. Monangai will be much-needed in Rutgers’ bid to start 3-0 for the fourth time in a row.

As always, Monangai credited the offensive line for his record 200-plus yard day.

“That’s the five guys upfront,” Monangai said. “They allow us to do our job, so that’s all kudos to them. The 200 (yards) is great, but I got a big thank you. I got to give them their props - all five of them.”

Kaliakmanis is efficient again

For the first time since 2015, the Knights have passed for three touchdowns in consecutive games. Kaliakmanis, who transferred from Minnesota in the offseason, was leading the offense in both games.

Despite throwing an interception on Rutgers’ first offensive possession and missing his man on Duff’s ricochet touchdown catch, Kaliakmanis still led the Knights offense to great success on the scoreboard.

His most impressive play of the day came at the 3:14 mark of the third quarter when Kaliakmanis placed a beautiful deep ball into the hands of senior wide receiver Chris Long, who strode into the endzone for a 58-yard touchdown. That score extended Rutgers’ lead to 35-10 and was the cherry on top in the Knights’ victory.

“The corner blitzed, so (Long) was one-on-one with the safety,” Kaliakmanis said. “I just pumped it.”

The quarterback completed 14 of his 23 passes for 230 yards along with his three scores and first quarter pick. Long brought in four catches for 87 yards, while senior receiver Dymere Miller made four receptions for 77 yards.

“They help me out a lot,” Kaliakmanis said of his wideouts. “Today, I don’t feel like I started out as fast, and they were making plays. It’s just not even them, (it’s) the o-line too - everybody just executing their job.”

Defense locks down Akron.

Besides giving up a busted coverage touchdown pass and letting Zips running back Jordan Simmons accelerate for a 73-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter, the Rutgers defense fended off Akron’s offense. 

Starter Ben Finley was held to just 14 of 31 completions for 138 yards. He was picked off by senior defensive back Shaquan Loyal in the second half and was sacked twice.

Overall, the Knights’ defense amassed six pass breakups, with senior defensive back Robert Longerbeam leading that category with two. In the interior, the defense totaled four tackles for loss and nine quarterback hurries.

“I thought the d-line supplied pressure, which is always the most important thing - if you can put pressure on the quarterback,” head coach Greg Schiano said. “I thought the coverage was good, too. I thought Robert Longerbeam really covered well. I thought our safeties did a good job. We had a bust there - one bust that we got to make sure we fix. But, overall, I thought the defense played well. We can play better on defense, and we will.

The defense and Rutgers as a whole will look to “keep chopping” during its bye week and before it plays in its first road game against Virginia Tech on Saturday, September 21.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Josh Meyers' work, follow @JoshCMeyers on X.