U. announces new dean for Rutgers School of Nursing

Angela Starkweather was announced as the new dean of the Rutgers School of Nursing and will assume her role on August 19. – Photo by Patti Zielinski / email

On August 2, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences Chancellor Brian Strom announced Angela Starkweather as the new dean of the Rutgers School of Nursing.

She will assume the role on August 19 from the current dean, Linda Flynn, who is retiring after four years in the position.

According to Strom, Starkweather comes into the University with previous experience as an assistant dean for research development and Chamings-endowed professor at the University of Florida College of Nursing. She has worked in various clinics as a neuroscience nurse and acute care nurse practitioner and continues to develop her research in pain management improvement.

Starkweather's research in understanding the biological, psychological and social effects on symptoms of disease and treatment has allowed her to focus on the patient's needs and values. This carries over into her administrative work, as she has said that she is invested in improving health care in her surrounding communities.

"I am looking forward to ... implementing services to enhance the health and quality of life of individuals and families — in New Jersey, and beyond — and growing the scope and depth of nursing research and scholarship for improving health equity and nursing practice," she said.

When asked about her priorities as dean, Starkweather said she plans to first get to know her students, faculty and the communities they serve to fully understand her next steps. She will also stay committed to Flynn's standard of diversity, equity and belonging and wants to solidify existing academic partnerships.

Starkweather said she is excited to begin at the Rutgers School of Nursing to help students get the opportunities and education they need in order to be fully prepared to enter the workforce and become practicing nurses.

"Working with our faculty, my hope is to continue to infuse the joy of being a nurse and ways to hold on to that, despite the challenges, in (students') educational journey and throughout their career," she said.