SJP faces 2nd suspension until 2025

Students for Justice in Palestine at Rutgers—New Brunswick is reportedly suspended again, despite an apparent gap between notification to the group and public acknowledgment. – Photo by Anushka Dhariwal

The University has once again suspended the Students for Justice in Palestine at Rutgers—New Brunswick (SJP), a measure that now is expected to extend until at least July 4, 2025, notably American Independence Day.

Last December, the University suspended, and subsequently reinstated, the New Brunswick chapter, as previously reported by The Daily Targum.

A University spokesperson confirmed that messaging regarding the restriction was relayed to members of the organization on July 25. An article from NJ Advance Media on the matter noted that information about the suspension became public on Tuesday, coinciding with the University's unveiling of its new policies page, "Free Expression at Rutgers University."

In its statement to the Targum, the University said the organization participated in the University's typical conduct procedures, including written notice and meetings with conduct officers.

The statement does not indicate whether the organization declined to appeal the decision once it was made, or whether the University did not provide the option, reading, "student organizations can also appeal decisions; however, the option was not used in this instance."

The organization was ultimately suspended for the impact certain demonstrations, including their four-day encampment on Voorhees Mall in May, had on final exams and other University functions.

The organization will be barred from engaging in campus happenings, councils and intramural sports and booking campus spaces until their suspension is lifted, according to the statement.

Though, SJP has yet to publish any information about the suspension on its social media account. The organization still maintains its @sjprutgersnb handle on Instagram and has shared several posts documenting its efforts since July 25. One of the recent posts includes a "Call to Action" regarding the group's efforts to name a new Arab Cultural Center after late Gazan scholar and poet Refaat Alareer.

The organization also shared a post on August 7 detailing its endeavors and experiences across the 2023-2024 academic year. The post makes no mention of the organization's suspension, instead announcing its plans for the upcoming year.

"Our commitment to the liberation of Palestine and solidarity with all those who fight alongside us remains unwavering," the post reads. "As we move into the new academic year, our focus continues to be on the complete removal of support for the Zionist entity or the State of Israel from the institution of Rutgers University."

Neither SJP nor the University have replied to The Daily Targum's request for comment in time for publishing.

Editor's note: This article includes updates from a university spokesperson.