Rutgers men's soccer opens season with one-sided win over Northeastern

Senior midfielder Curt Calov had 2 goals in the Rutgers men's soccer team's 3-1 win against Northeastern in its 2024 season opener. – Photo by @RUMensSoccer / X.com

The Rutgers men’s soccer team began the 2024 season with a one-sided 3-1 win over Northeastern. The Scarlet Knights (1-0, 0-0) scored 2 goals in the first half to earn head coach Jim McElderry’s fifth-ever season-opening win. The Huskies (0-1, 0-0) made the game a 1-goal contest right before halftime but could not build off their momentum in the second half. 

Rutgers started the game on the front foot, bringing intensity and a fast style of play. This early pressure worked off, as the Knights scored their 1st goal of the season after less than 3 minutes of play. Senior defender Joey Zalinsky played a ball over the top that found senior midfielder Curt Calov, who chipped the ball over the head of Northeastern goalkeeper Tobias Jahn and into the back of the net. 

Approximately five minutes later, graduate student forward Ola Maeland passed over to Calov, whose shot deflected off a Huskie defender and trickled into the net. It was only the 8th minute, and Calov already had a brace and Rutgers led 2-0. 

Northeastern almost capitalized on a mistake between sophomore defender Devon Stopek and freshman defender Arnar Adalsteinsson, but junior goalkeeper Ciaran Dalton made a save to keep out Huskie forward Griffin Polinsky

As the first half drew to a close, the Knights looked to head into the locker room with a 2-goal lead. But a Northeastern free kick from Sebastian Restrepo approximately 6 minutes before halftime was rifled into the bottom left corner of the net, beating the Rutgers wall and Dalton. 

At halftime, the Huskies outshot the Knights 7-5, but the latter had the 2-1 advantage.

Rutgers started the second half just like the first, scoring a goal within the opening 10 minutes. Zalinsky whipped a cross into the box, which freshman defender Scott Godden headed to the back post to senior forward Nico Rosamilia. He shot the ball with his right foot into the top right corner of the net to score his 4th career goal and give the Knights a 2-goal lead once again. It was Godden’s first-ever assist and Zalinsky’s second assist of the night. 

Rutgers almost made it 4-1 minutes later, as Godden’s shot rocketed off the crossbar and out for a goal kick. 

Northeastern tried to get back into the game, but Dalton made crucial saves to earn the season-opening win. 

Calov had 2 goals in the win and now has 5 career goals as a Knight.

“A lot of energy coming in, first game of senior year,” Calov said. “We’re all happy to be out here and we have a great group, and the first chance really showed it in a game that means something in front of the home fans. The guys came out with a lot of energy ready to get the win.”

McElderry spoke on Calov’s performance, praising him for his sharp style of play.

“I thought he played really well throughout regardless of the two goals,” he said. “I thought he was getting on the ball and causing problems for them. Trying to set up teammates and just being dangerous, I thought it was a really good game from him.”

Rutgers will remain home for its next match against Delaware on Monday night. Kick-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and 88.7 WRSU-FM. 

“It was a great start,” McElderry said. “Our guys have tried to work hard on that to try to come out and play right away. I thought they did a great job at that but I thought there was times at the end of the first half where they got a little fatigued and maybe a little comfortable. But in the second half then we started to settle down and play and that third goal was super important.”

For more updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @MatthewMangam on X.