Pat Hobbs steps down after 9 years as U. athletic director

Pat Hobbs, in white, was hired as Rutgers' Director of Athletics in November of 2015 but will leave the role in 2024. – Photo by scarletknights.com

After nine years as Rutgers’ Director of Athletics, Pat Hobbs has resigned from his position.

In a statement, University President Jonathan Holloway said that the school would be searching for a new AD as soon as possible and that Hobbs stepped down due to “health-related issues.”

In Hobbs’ place, Ryan Pisarri will serve as the interim athletic director, formerly serving as Deputy Athletic Director for Competitive Excellence and Chief of Staff.

Hobbs was hired into the role of athletic director in November 2015 and is responsible for the hiring of multiple Scarlet Knight coaches, headlined by men’s basketball head coach Steve Pikiell, who was able to bring Rutgers to its first NCAA Tournament victory since 1983. Greg Schiano was brought back to the Banks for his second stint as the head coach of football in 2019, with Hobbs at the helm of the athletics department.

Hobbs was also the athletic director during two Big Ten Tournament Championship runs with the field hockey team securing their title in 2021 and men’s soccer being crowned as conference champions in 2022. In addition, the women’s soccer team were named Big Ten regular season champions during the 2021 season.

In the infrastructure landscape, Hobbs was behind the building of the $115 million RWJBarnabas Health Athletic Performance Center on the Livingston campus.

Two years ago, Hobbs had his contract extended until 2028. He was set to make no less than $635,000 in base salary during the 2024-2025 season, per NJ.com.

The news of Hobbs’ decision to leave his role comes just a day after the beginning of the new athletic year and before a pivotal football season begins in less than two weeks.

For more updates on Rutgers athletics, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Josh Meyers' work, follow @JoshCMeyers on X.