Targum sports desk predicts Final Four, champion in 2024 NCAA men's, women's basketball tournaments

The majority of The Daily Targum's sports desk predicts that the UConn men's basketball team will win the 2024 NCAA men's basketball tournament, its second in a row. – Photo by @uconnmbb / Instagram

The NCAA men's and women's basketball Final Fours are this Friday and Saturday, and The Daily Targum's sports desk has its predictions for which teams will advance and win their respective championships.

Camden Markel, associate sports editor

Men's: "As much I've wanted to deny it, I like UConn for the men's side. I think the Huskies will get past Alabama, winning by 10-15 points, and will take on Purdue after the Boilermakers end the NC State Cinderella run. Donovan Clingan and Zach Edey will have a battle for the ages, but UConn goes back-to-back, winning 73-66."

Women's: "For the women's side, I am more excited for the UConn vs. Iowa, Paige Bueckers vs. Caitlin Clark matchup than I have been for anything else through either of the NCAA Tournaments. Bueckers will record 25-plus points, 8-plus assists and 5-plus rebounds, but Clark will score more than 40 points en route to a Hawkeye victory. Iowa takes on South Carolina, where the Gamecocks end Clark's legendary collegiate career and finish their historic undefeated season."

Philip Jaccoma, contributing writer

Men's: "Just like I said before the tournament, UConn has steamrolled every team they played and is by far the most complete team in college basketball. The Huskies will blow by Alabama's poor defense and go on to beat Purdue in the chip. Clingan will do enough to slow Edey, and the rest of UConn will do the rest. Purdue will (unfortunately) defeat NC State, and Edey will finally be the one to slow down a red-hot DJ Burns Jr. Difficult to think up a way for Burns to neutralize Edey, although I, and I'm sure the rest of America besides West Lafayette, would love to be proven wrong."

Women's: "Clark proved against LSU she won't be stopped no matter what. The recent UConn storyline that's come out will fuel her even more, and she'll go on to beat UConn and then beat South Carolina in the chip. South Carolina will continue its dominant season and beat NC State but will ultimately fall to Clark."

Nicholas Hart, contributing writer

Men's: "UConn will take on Purdue in the national championship game, and it's going to be a battle of the big men between Edey and Clingan. In the end, the physicality of UConn is going to be too much for Purdue to overcome. Final score: 72-61."

Women's: "Iowa vs. UConn is going to be a great matchup between two excellent scorers in Clark and Bueckers. This year is the year of Clark, as she is playing with a chip on her shoulder and is the ultimate competitor. Clark and Iowa take home the national championship this year 83-77 over South Carolina."

Noah Ohayon, contributing writer

Men's: "Burns has captivated the country with his Zach Randolph-esque back-to-the-basket game. Burns vs. Edey will be a very exciting matchup of dominant bigs, and I think NC State stays hot and wins the game. UConn has been dominant all tournament, and I don't see that stopping against Alabama. Give me UConn over NC State in the men's final."

Women's: "Clark vs. Bueckers will be an all-time exciting game between two talented guards. Ultimately, I think Clark and Iowa will get the win. South Carolina will keep its streak going and defeat NC State. I'm rolling with the Big Ten in the women's final — Iowa is taking the trophy home."

Jack Rabenhorst, contributing writer

Men's: "The men's tournament will be UConn and Purdue, with UConn winning the championship. Back-to-back champions."

Women's: "The women's tournament will be UConn and South Carolina. UConn will upset the Gamecocks and continue the trend of both UConn teams winning every 10 years."

Andrew Rice, contributing writer

Men's: "UConn defeats NC State in the national championship."

Women's: "Iowa defeats NC State in the national championship."

The women's Final Four takes place Friday with South Carolina and NC State scheduled for 7 p.m. on ESPN and Iowa and UConn starting approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one. The men's Final Four games will be on Saturday and are scheduled for 6:09 p.m. and 8:49 p.m. on TNT and TBS. Purdue and the Wolfpack will be up first.

The women's championship will be at 3 p.m. on Sunday, while the men's championship will be at 9:20 p.m. on Monday.

For more updates, follow @TargumSports on X.