Rutgers women's basketball lands former 5-star recruit JoJo Lacey through transfer portal

Boston College transfer JoJo Lacey will replace lost talent like Erica Lafayette for the Rutgers women's basketball team this upcoming season. – Photo by John Quackenbos / bceagles.com

The Rutgers women's basketball team has secured its first transfer portal addition of the offseason with the signing of Boston College transfer JoJo Lacey. The former Eagle will fill some much-needed holes for the Scarlet Knights after they lost Jillian Huerter, Erica Lafayette and Kaylene Smikle to the portal.

Lacey is a 6-foot-1 guard hailing from Douglassville, Pennsylvania. She spent four years with Boston College, leaving her one year of eligibility for her time on the Banks.

Lacey played a small role in her first two years with the Eagles, averaging approximately 6 minutes per game before blossoming into a starting role in her junior season and starting all 33 games. In those 33 games, Lacey averaged 10 points per game (PPG), nearly five rebounds, approximately two assists and 1.5 steals. She took a slight step back in her senior season, starting just 8 of 26 games and averaging 8.7 PPG.

Lacey is a versatile guard who will bring size and athleticism to Rutgers' backcourt. While she shot just 37.9 percent from the field and 27.8 percent from at Boston College, her two-way, all-around skills will be valuable to a growing team like the Knights.

Before her college career, she was a five-star recruit in the 2020 class. Lacey was a captain at Westtown High School, where she averaged 12.3 PPG, 6.9 rebounds, and 2.2 steals as a senior. She led her team to its first Friends League Championship in 23 years and earned First-Team All-State honors for Class 2A.

"I've known [Lacey] since she was a high school star, and I am thrilled that she is joining us here at Rutgers. She is an athletic and versatile wing who will play multiple positions for us," head coach Coquese Washington said. "[Lacey] competes hard on both ends of the floor and isn't afraid to play physical basketball. In addition, Jojo brings experience to our locker room which is a big plus. I'm really excited about adding Jojo to our program as I'm confident she will make a positive impact in many ways."

Lacey joins freshmen Kiyomi McMiller and Zachara Perkins as newcomers this upcoming season. Even with these additions, there are still spaces on the roster to fill. Expect this transfer news not to be the last, as Washington should be active while the transfer portal is still open.

For more updates on the Rutgers women’s basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Camden Markel's work, follow @CamdenMarkel on X.