Martini madness: What does Princeton transfer Zach Martini bring to Rutgers men's basketball?

Zach Martini decided to stay in New Jersey after committing to the Rutgers men's basketball team from Princeton. – Photo by @zach.martini / Instagram

The Rutgers men's basketball team has made a significant addition with the commitment of Zach Martini, a senior transfer from Princeton. This marks a new chapter in Martini's basketball journey, as he joins Tyson Acuff as the second portal acquisition for the Scarlet Knights this offseason, enhancing the team's roster and potential for the upcoming season.

Martini is entering his fifth season of college basketball. While his freshman season was canceled due to COVID-19, he has played the past three seasons with the Tigers. He started all 29 games last season.

At 6-foot-7 and 235 pounds, Martini's versatility as a forward is a key asset. He averaged 8.4 points, 3.3 rebounds and 0.9 assists for Princeton in 2024. He shot 38.5 percent from three on 156 attempts, providing crucial spacing for the Tigers in pick-and-pop situations and as a spot-up shooter. He had an effective field goal percentage of 54 percent in catch-and-shoot situations, which ranked in the 73rd percentile.

Martini can also score at the basket, finishing 82.8 percent of his attempts at the rim while only being assisted on 66.7 percent of these looks. He excels at baiting defenders into flying by him on closeouts, leading to him having open lanes to the basket.

Another of Martini's strengths is his timing on cuts to give himself open looks at the rim. He scored 1.79 points per possession (PPP) on cuts to the rim, impressively ranking in the 97th percentile in the nation.

Transition is another area where Martini adds value. 10 percent of his baskets come in transition, and he scored 1.25 PPP on these looks, which was good enough to place him in the 79th percentile. While his shooting out on the deep wings and the corners is a huge asset, it is clear that he excels in flashing to the cup, too.

Rutgers has long-needed floor spacing at the wing, and Martini will provide that in spades. He projects to be the team's starting power forward and act as a glue guy for incoming five-star freshmen Dylan Harper and Ace Bailey.

Martini gives the star duo a reliable floor spacer and outlet in transition for easy baskets. His veteran presence should aid in bringing Harper and Bailey up to speed quickly and help a newly constructed roster gel as soon as possible.

Expect Martini to play a pivotal role for the Knights in the 2024-2025 season.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Gabriel Mendez's work, follow @TheCrossover0 on X.