Future of Rutgers Football 2024: Offensive line

The Rutgers football team's offensive line will be tasked with protecting junior quarterback Gavin Wimsatt in 2024. – Photo by Evan Leong

As the Rutgers football team prepares for a crucial 2024 season, few battles are more important than winning in the trenches. In the fifth edition of Future of Rutgers Football, The Daily Targum previews the 2024 offensive line room.

The Scarlet Knights' offensive line was a pleasant surprise in their breakout 2023 season, helping anchor a dominant running game and winning the time of possession battle in offensive line coach Pat Flaherty's first season of his second stint at Rutgers.

The Knights bring back a starter at arguably the most important position, as senior offensive line Hollin Pierce returns at left tackle to protect the quarterback’s blind side. Pierce’s massive size at 6-foot-8 and 345 pounds put him on NFL radars, but he opted to return to Rutgers for his final college season. He will be the linchpin of one of the most important position groups on the team coming off of an All-Big Ten honorable mention.

Another honorable mention returns at the left guard spot as well. Senior offensive line Bryan Felter also chose to spend his final collegiate season as a Knight and will bring plenty of experience back to the left side of the offensive line. That tandem is important, as many of Rutgers' rushing attempts in 2023 went off the left side of the line, and they will be depended upon once again.

The Knights' third All-Big Ten performer returns at the center spot, as senior offensive line Gus Zilinskas will man the center of the offensive line. Zilinskas surprised many by winning the starting job over former senior offensive line Ireland Brown to start the 2023 season. But was solid throughout and will add another layer of continuity to the trenches. The offensive line is arguably the most important position to keep multiple players in for years, so the stability on the left side is a big plus.

The competitions at right guard and tackle will be very intriguing, as both positions feature youth and veterans without a clear winner. Former senior offensive line Curtis Dunlap Jr. is out of college eligibility at the left guard spot, and there will be a competition to replace him. Junior offensive line Kwabena Asamoah has limited experience at both guard spots — and even some center — but is a solid option.

The other competitor at right guard will likely be senior offensive line Reggie Sutton. Sutton's journey has been an inspiring one, returning to game action nearly two years after suffering a devastating knee injury in 2021. He started seven games at right tackle in place of senior offensive line Tyler Needham. He was a solid option with a great story, but his limited athleticism may be better suited for an interior spot on the line.

The right tackle job will likely be another competition, as the aforementioned Needham returns and will compete with junior offensive line Taj White, who also contributed in place of Needham. Needham suffered a season-ending injury in the second game of the season against Temple. So either of the two options could be considered "new" starters on the right side.

Behind the starters, there is plenty of youth on the offensive line waiting for their turn to step up. Sophomore offensive line Dominic Rivera and junior offensive line Dantae Chin are both swing options who have playing experience, but will likely have to wait another year to start. Senior offensive line Terrence Salami and sophomore offensive line John Stone are options on the interior that will likely play in-depth roles this year.

Head coach Greg Schiano and his staff also brought in three freshmen who will be set to contribute in the future. Freshman offensive line Kenny Jones, joining the program from Delran, New Jersey, will be a tackle in the future as a former three-star recruit.

Freshman offensive line Raynor Andrews, originally from the Bahamas, joins the program after playing his high school ball in Miami. He is still relatively new to the sport, but he moves very well for his size, and Flaherty will use that to his advantage.

Freshman offensive line Carter Kadow was originally set to be a tight end but switched to offensive line after impressing Flaherty at a camp in May. Due to this, he will take time to fully acclimate to the position, but he could be an exciting prospect if he develops properly.

Rutgers' offensive line will be fascinating to watch in 2024, with the returners and newcomers, as well as a legendary position coach fully getting his feet wet in his return as a collegiate offensive line coach. The group as a whole will be critical to the Knights' offensive success.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Alec Crouthamel's work, follow @aleccr12 on X.