COLUMN: UFC 300 is must-watch event

Alex Pereira, the current light-heavyweight champion, will be taking on Jamahal Hill at UFC 300 on Saturday. – Photo by @alexpoatanpereira / Instagram

In present times, boxers, wrestlers and various other martial artists have reenacted the tension of two gladiators fighting in the Roman Colosseum, but no company has done it better than the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

Since 1993, the UFC has brought martial artists to the Octagon to determine the best fighters in the world. After 30 years, the UFC has become the gold standard for modern-day unarmed combat.

The UFC continues to soar to new heights and is putting on its 300th major fight card on Saturday. To highlight the special occasion, the fight card features champions, former champions as well as fan favorites, who will battle it out in the Octagon.

Alex Pereira is the former middleweight champion and current light-heavyweight champion of the UFC. Prior to joining the UFC, Pereira was a professional kickboxer who became the first to ever knock out Israel Adesanya. Adesanya would get revenge on Pereira, though, knocking him out on April 8, 2023.

Pereira's opponent, Jamahal Hill, was the former light-heavyweight champion who vacated his title due to an achilles injury. Hill has never lost his belt in a title fight and will likely have a chip on his shoulder against Pereira.

"And whenever I do fight him, standing, I will knock him out. And when I do, I'm going to rub it in every single one of your faces," Hill said.

Although many experts believe Pereira to be superior, Hill is a dangerous fighter, capable of knocking out anyone in the UFC. Expect a high-paced action battle with both fighters throwing haymakers until the other is knocked out.

Since losing to Khabib Nurmagomedov on Oct. 24, 2020, many believed Justin Gaethje was done for. Instead, Gaethje beat down every rising contender that fans thought would be too much for him, with another tough matchup against former featherweight champion Max Holloway ahead of him. Holloway will be moving up a weight class to take on Gaethje. If not for two more rightful contenders fighting in the Octagon, the winner of this fight would have a definitive claim to challenge Islam Makhachev.

Charles Oliveira earned the vacated lightweight belt after knocking out Michael Chandler at UFC 262. Often regarded as a quitter in his youth, Oliveira has won 3 of his last 4 title matches. Oliveira will be taking on Arman Tsarukyan. Tsarukyan managed to beat an old guard of the top five, which is something no other prospect has been able to accomplish.

Tsarukyan's brutal knockout over Beneil Dariush proved he has the skills to be among the top five in the lightweight class. Still, Oliveira will test Tsarukyan's grit and make it a difficult fight.

UFC 300 will be an event like none other, with many exciting matchups and legacies on the line. Even if you are not a fan of UFC, this historical fight card will be one you will not want to miss.