Spring Break 2024: Let your playlist blossom with these lively tracks

As the winter turns to spring, that means adopting a new playlist into your routine — try these tunes! – Photo by Franky Tan

This winter has been tough. Most students have had to shovel through thick mounds of snow or brave treacherous winds on the way to class — warm temperatures and beaming sunshine couldn’t come fast enough.

Fortunately, March is here and spring break is on everyone’s mind. As exciting as it is, it won’t be nearly as enjoyable with thoughts of winter lingering.

To best transition into this new season, consider prioritizing your music playlist, which is crucial in building a new mindset. Here are some songs to shower your day in sunshine.

Happy & Sadby Kacey Musgraves

An emotional rollercoaster capturing the highs and lows of life, “Happy & Sad” perfectly captures the changing seasons in its wonderful guitar strums. This bright, 2018 ballad expresses the impact of memories across a vivid, technicolor landscape.

Waiting for That Dayby George Michael

Just like college students, eagerly awaiting spring break, George Michael has also been waiting for something, albeit much more profound. On this sunny, yet sad track, the British superstar explores unrequited love and lost relationships.

While this track is a little emotional, Michael’s beautiful, emotive vocals capture the delicate spring season and the nagging loose ends from the winter.

Agua De Beberby Al Jarreau

This Latin-funk fusion cover of the bossa nova classic makes for a breezy listening experience. As the rhythm picks up, Jarreau's complex scatting and infectious tone will instantly have you ready for the joys of spring.

Overjoyedby Stevie Wonder

The one gripe most people have about spring is the rain, something that Wonder finds beauty in on this track. The audible raindrops, along with other sounds of nature, like birds and crickets chirping, immediately immerses listeners into the season.

The theme of rain is something that Wonder has mastered — in “Rain Your Love Down,” he finds a unique use for thunderstorms.

Hollywoodby Rufus & Chaka Khan

Some may not remember that R&B songstress Chaka Khan was in a band before her solo successes. This light, disco treat addresses a man leaving his past to find excitement in a new location: Hollywood. Though listeners may not be able to go on a vacation to California, Khan conveys the state’s beauty through her graceful and passionate voice. 

Forever, for Always, for Loveby Luther Vandross 

Vandross never disappoints in any of his work — anything he touches turns into gold. This 6-minute track is sure to lighten the mood with its orchestra and simulating tranquil sounds. Sharing his commitment to changing for the better, it alludes to the opportunities available through new periods. The pacing of the song is quite slow, but his crooning is sure to help you relax this break. 

Springtime should be a time of growth. Ensure your playlist for break reflects that, along with the season's warmth and brightness.