Rutgers women's lacrosse struggles in third quarter, loses to No. 6 Michigan

The Rutgers women's lacrosse team gave Michigan a challenge in the first half but had a poor third quarter and suffered its second straight defeat. – Photo by Evan Leong

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team was defeated 13-10 by Michigan on Thursday night. The Scarlet Knights (5-3, 0-2) hung close with the Wolverines (9-0, 2-0) in the first half but let the game slip away in the second half to suffer their second straight defeat. 

No. 6 Michigan came out of the gates hot with a goal from Kaylee Dyer after 57 seconds of play. Rutgers responded with goals from graduate student midfielder Cassidy Spilis and sophomore midfielder Ava Chiarella to take the lead. The Wolverines had the last laugh of the first quarter, though, scoring 2 goals to take a 3-2 lead after 15 minutes of action. 

Caroline Davis gave Michigan a 2-goal advantage at the 11:48 mark in the second quarter. Chiarella then netted her 2nd goal of the night, but Dyer and Jill Smith both found the back of the cage to cushion the Wolverines’ lead. Junior midfielder Alexa Corbin scored the last goal of the quarter to make the score 6-4 heading into halftime.

Dyer dominated the first half, scoring 4 goals and providing one assist.

The Knights put their foot on the gas pedal at the start of the third quarter. Rutgers leveled the game at 6-6 thanks to tallies from Spilis and Corbin. Michigan did not let the Knights retake the lead, though, as Dyer and Ava Class scored to make it an 8-6 contest. 

Moments after, the Wolverines thought they scored off a free-position attempt but the goal was called off due to a crease violation. Rutgers turned the ball over seconds later and Michigan capitalized with a goal. Annabelle Burke continued the scoring run to give the Wolverines their largest lead of the game. The Knights’ night went from bad to worse as Josie Gooch netted the last goal of the third quarter. Michigan’s 5-0 scoring run resulted in an 11-6 lead heading into the final quarter. 

Dyer opened the fourth quarter with a goal, but Rutgers would score the remainder of the goals. Corbin and Spilis completed their hat tricks, and with 3:15 left in the game, Spilis added another goal via a free position attempt. With a woman-up, the Wolverines sealed the win as Smith recorded a hat trick of her own. Freshman midfielder Payton Tini netted the final goal of the night off a free position attempt.

Michigan narrowly outshot the Knights 30-29 but had a 16-10 advantage on the draw controls, resulting in possession of the ball and the chance to create more scoring opportunities. 

It will not get any easier for Rutgers, as it will take on another undefeated opponent, Yale, on Sunday at SHI Stadium on Busch campus. Faceoff is scheduled for noon and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @matthewmangam on X.