NBFD receives $70,000 in state funding

The New Brunswick Fire Department (NBFD) was recently allocated $70,000 in state grants, the second-highest amount awarded within Middlesex County. – Photo by @FireApparatus1 / X

On Tuesday, the New Brunswick Fire Department (NBFD) received a $70,000 grant from the state, according to a press release.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) signed off on $20 million in funding under the American Rescue Plan Firefighter Grants that would be divided among 353 fire stations selected by the Department of Community Affairs. The funds are intended to aid with the costs of protective gear, breathing devices and sanitation tools.

According to the list of grant allocations, the Pleasantville Fire Department in Atlantic County received the most funding with $85,000 for the 2024 fiscal year.

The highest amount awarded to a fire department in Middlesex County was $75,000, which nine in-county departments received. NBFD was 1 of 3 in-county departments that received $70,000, alongside Edison and Perth Amboy.

The lowest-funded district in Middlesex County was Old Bridge Fire District 3, which was allocated $10,000.

The grant comes more than two weeks after nearby communities in Middlesex County held fire elections, including neighboring Piscataway and East Brunswick.

"The continuation of the American Rescue Plan Firefighter Grant Program for a second cycle means local governments don't have to break the bank to get firefighters the gear and equipment they need. We're putting our federal tax dollars to use here in New Jersey communities for essential services," Murphy said in the release.