'Our team culture is outstanding': Brian Brecht previews No. 15 Rutgers men's lacrosse season opener

The Rutgers men's lacrosse team will start its highly anticipated 2024 season against Lehigh on Saturday.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers men's lacrosse team will open its 2024 season against Lehigh on Saturday. The Scarlet Knights look to start their campaign on the front foot against the Mountain Hawks at SHI Stadium on Busch campus.

No. 15 Rutgers has a lineup full of new faces this season, as it brought in 15 transfers and features 13 freshmen on the roster.

With the new additions, head coach Brian Brecht has high praise for his team and their experience.

"Our team culture is outstanding," Brecht said. "Most of those transfers are grad transfers, so they're older, they're experienced, they're very mature … I think they understand the dynamics of cohesion and gelling as a program each fall."

The Knights have won 19 of their past 21 season openers. To continue that strong record, Brecht says that Rutgers must focus on itself heading into the game.

"It goes back to taking care of ourselves," he said. "Obviously, everyone's dealing with injuries in the early part of the season, and we might not be full strength as we go into the opener, but we've had some good practices. We've had some good scrimmages."

Lehigh had a strong 2023 season, winning 6 of its 8 conference matches and reaching the semifinals of the Patriot League Tournament. The Mountain Hawks scored 206 goals, the second-most in their respective conference. The Knights will need to look out for Scott Cole, who scored 49 goals and provided 26 assists in 15 games last year.

Rutgers conceded a conference-low 151 goals last season and will look to its strong defense to make an impact in the game and limit Cole's scoring opportunities.

"It's going to be a challenge for our defense," Brecht said. "We got a new defense this year — new goalie, new close defense, new LSM, new rope unit. So, everyone on the defensive end is new to Rutgers lacrosse this year, so we need a good week of practice. We gotta take care of ourselves and do what we do best but also take care of their knowns."

Lehigh has a new head coach this season, Will Scudder. Scudder was named head coach after spending five years as an associate head coach and seven years as the defensive coordinator. But this coaching change will not affect the Knights' preparation for the game.

"(Scudder's) been in the program for over 15 years as a player and as a coach, so he's just as much as Lehigh lacrosse as everyone else on that roster from the last couple of years to this year," Brecht said. "I think, if anything, it's gonna motivate them, give them a lot of excitement … We gotta be prepared for their best."

Rutgers will also have a new starting goalkeeper this season. Former goalkeeper Kyle Mullin, who owned a save percentage of 51 percent last year, graduated in the off-season. Sophomore goalkeeper Cardin Stoller will get his first-ever start between the pipes this weekend.

"Cardin Stoller's gonna get his first start," Brecht said. "I think he's grown a lot over the last year, but this is gonna be his first start and first action as a college player. I think he's handled the pre-season well. There's no doubt that he's ready for this challenge."

On Thursday, graduate student attacker Ross Scott, as well as senior midfielders Shane Knobloch and Jack Aimone, were all dubbed Preseason Players to Watch by the Big Ten, adding to anticipation ahead of the season.

The game between the Knights and the Mountain Hawks will begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @matthewmangam on X.