'Orange' you glad you didn't fall for these latest TikTok relationship trends?

The "orange peel theory" is among the latest TikTok trends, presenting a relationship test that could potentially lead to harm. – Photo by TikTok

Would your partner peel an orange for you? What if you pointed out a cool bird you saw at a coffee shop — would they engage in conversation with you about it? These are just some of the questions TikTok users are asking to test the strength of their romantic relationships. But is there any value in them? 

Some users claim these tests are backed by psychology. User @egybestie posted a video explaining the "bird test theory," which posits that if your partner doesn't take interest in the little things, like a bird you pointed out to them, then your relationship won't work out in the long run.

Users claim the phenomenon is backed up by The Gottman Institute, a psychological research institute that specializes in relationships. The Institute employs a more sophisticated term than the bird test theory, referring to it as a bid — an attempt by a partner to connect with their significant other.

Another popular TikTok relationship trend is the "orange peel theory." Just like the bird test, the orange peel theory suggests that if your partner isn't willing to perform a small act of service for you, like peeling an orange, it's a red flag that your relationship isn't strong or healthy.

So, should you do these tests? The short answer: It's complicated. 

Assessing your entire relationship with a few short, specific tests isn't the best idea. What if your partner doesn't like birds or oranges and has no idea that you do? Of course, you could swap out the subject of the test for some other random topic, but it's important to acknowledge the shortcomings of these theories before cutting ties with a partner.

The real issue comes with using one or two small questions to judge whether your partner truly cares about you. Sensing a pattern of disengaged behavior can certainly indicate that your relationship isn't in the best shape, but getting caught up in the trendiness of these tests and picking a fight with your partner over an orange they refuse to peel is probably not going to fix any issues in your relationship. 

Taking psychology advice from TikTok is also not necessarily the best idea, at least not without doing some more research first. The Gottman Institute represents just one fraction of psychological researchers. Relying on the organization's opinion or that of a TikToker quoting them doesn't mean the information is entirely accurate to your specific relationship.

One of the issues with TikTok is how short its videos are, preventing creators from diving deeper into the subjects they're talking about. Quickly giving relationship advice can be damaging for people who watch the videos and accept the advice as fact simply because the creator references a psychological theory.

This can be especially harmful for younger individuals figuring out how to navigate relationships, including those with friends and family members.

If you decide to test out one of these trends, it's best if you just look at it as a little test to just do for fun. Staking the future of your relationship on the bird test theory or the orange peel theory will likely just lead to disappointment or even unnecessary problems with your partner. 

If you're truly feeling undervalued or unheard in a relationship, open communication will be much more effective in helping you strengthen your relationship than any trend on TikTok.