Murphy taps U. researcher to be NJ Education Commissioner

Kevin Dehmer has been nominated to serve as the commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) after serving in various roles within the department for almost two decades. – Photo by Courtesy of the office of Governor Phil Murphy (D-N.J.)

Kevin Dehmer, executive director and senior researcher at the John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development, has been selected by Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) to serve as commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE), according to a press release

"Nobody is better prepared to meet this charge than (Dehmer)," Murphy said in the release. "His wealth of experience in education policy and proven commitment to improving educational outcomes for all New Jersey students will make him an indispensable asset."

Dehmer's current role at the Heldrich Center will be assumed by Laurie Harrington, assistant director for evaluation at the Heldrich Center, according to an announcement from the center.

Should Dehmer be appointed, he would be continuing a 17-year-long career with the NJDOE. Previously, he served as assistant commissioner and chief financial officer, alongside heading various projects in the department.

Dehmer will succeed the current commissioner, Angelica Allen-McMillan, who has been serving in an acting capacity since late 2020, according to a separate press release.

"I look forward to reprising my role as commissioner in a more permanent capacity and getting to work on behalf of our students, educators and our school communities," Dehmer said.