Cassidy Spilis nets 200th career goal in Rutgers women's lacrosse win over Georgetown

Graduate student attacker Cassidy Spilis became the first player in program history to score 200 career goals in the Rutgers women's lacrosse team's win against Georgetown. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers women's lacrosse team defeated Georgetown 13-6 on Saturday. The Scarlet Knights (2-0, 0-0) shut down the Hoyas' (2-1, 0-0) offense in their dominant 7-goal victory.

Senior midfielder Ashley Moynahan started the game with a quick goal after 30 seconds of play. Georgetown would respond approximately 4 minutes later with a goal from Emma Gebhardt.

Graduate student midfielder Cassidy Spilis would then provide an offensive spark, scoring 3 goals in less than 3 minutes for a first-quarter hat trick. Gebhardt would net another goal to end the opening quarter.

Rutgers would take full control of the game in the second quarter. Spilis, freshman midfielder Payton Tini, junior midfielder Alexa Corbin and Moynahan would all score as the Knights led 9-2 at halftime.

The Hoyas began the second half with a goal from Gracie Driggs, which was assisted by Gebhardt. Rutgers would then go on a 3-0 scoring run. Sophomore attacker and midfielder Lily Dixon, senior midfielder Mikayla Dever and junior midfielder and attacker Victoria Goldrick all scored in the run as the Knights owned a 12-3 lead heading into the final quarter.

Georgetown would score 3 goals in the fourth quarter, but it was ultimately too late, as Rutgers sealed the road win. Overall, the Knights outshot the Hoyas 34-21. Rutgers had 16 turnovers, while Georgetown had 19.

Spilis stuffed the stat sheet with 5 goals, one assist, five draw controls, one ground ball and one caused turnover. Spilis also became the first Knight in program history to score 200 career goals and now has 203 goals during her time on the Banks.

Goldrick was the playmaker in the win, providing four assists with two ground balls and one caused turnover.

On defense, senior defender Lauren Messinese, graduate student defender Jessica Beneducci and junior defender Madison Karpe were able to limit the Hoyas from creating scoring opportunities.

Senior goalkeeper Sophia Cardello had 10 saves and played for approximately 54 minutes. Freshman goalkeeper Sophia Rowell recorded one save in approximately 7 minutes of play.

Rutgers will return to SHI Stadium on Busch campus to face off against Monmouth on Wednesday. The game will begin at 6 p.m. and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on X.