University Hospital recognized amid highest recorded statewide organ donations, transplants

University Hospital (UH), a health care center affiliated with the University, was recently named among institutions that achieved unprecedented rates of organ donations and transplants as New Jersey saw a statewide record for such operations. – Photo by Ted Shaffrey / AP Photo

University Hospital (UH) in Newark was named among record-breaking health care facilities in New Jersey for organ donations by NJ Sharing Network, the state's federally assigned nonprofit organization for organ donations, according to a press release.

Seven hundred fifteen organ donations occurred in New Jersey in 2023, breaking an annual record for the fifth year in a row with a 7 percent increase from 2022. UH, a University-affiliated health center, broke institutional records with 65 organ recoveries and 25 donors, the release read.

This news comes four days after Edward Jimenez, the chief executive officer of UH, was recognized by ROI-NJ as 1 of 17 impactful members of the state's health care community.

UH's Center for Advanced Liver Diseases and Transplantation also reported a nationally ranked 98.72 percent survival rate for three years following a liver transplant administered by the center, which is run by New Jersey Medical School physicians.

"Having the top liver transplant survival rates in the nation validates our belief that University Hospital is the preeminent academic medical center in New Jersey," Jimenez said. "It also endorses the Center for Advanced Liver Diseases and Transplantation as another point of pride for the institution."