Rutgers women's basketball looks for 1st Big Ten win against Illinois, Michigan

The Rutgers women's basketball team will look to earn its first win in more than a month when it faces off against Illinois on the road and Michigan at home this week. – Photo by Ben Solomon / ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers women's basketball team is set to continue Big Ten play this week. The Scarlet Knights (6-13, 0-6) are looking to earn their first conference win of the season and end their eight-game losing streak.

Rutgers is coming off a 94-80 defeat to Penn State at Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus. Despite the loss, junior guard and forward Destiny Adams had a career-high 33 points while also grabbing nine rebounds and providing two assists.

The Knights will start their busy week with a road game against Illinois on Wednesday. The Fighting Illini (7-8, 1-4) are coming into this game on the back of a 93-52 win against Northwestern.

Genesis Bryant averages a team-leading 14.5 points per game (PPG) and has scored 32 three-pointers this season. Rutgers will also need to look out for Kendall Bostic, as she averages 9.1 rebounds per game, the third-most in the Big Ten.

The Knights will then return to the Banks to face off against Michigan on Sunday.

The Wolverines (12-5, 3-2) currently sit in sixth place in the Big Ten.

Michigan is coming off a 76-52 win against Wisconsin. In that game, the Wolverines forced 28 turnovers and snagged 12 steals. Laila Phelia, Cameron Williams and Taylor Williams all had double-digit points in the win. Cameron Williams also recorded her second double-double of the season.

Phelia averages a team-leading 15.8 PPG and 1.3 steals per game. She also has the most steals on the team with a total of 22.

Rutgers will need to be sharp when shooting the basketball, as Michigan allows opponents to score a conference-low 58.1 PPG.

The Wolverines will go on the road to play Nebraska before Sunday's contest.

The Knights are the only team without a conference win this season and have fallen to the bottom of the Big Ten. Rutgers will need Adams, sophomore guard Mya Petticord and senior center Chyna Cornwell to lead the way in scoring and sophomore guard and forward Antonia Bates to continue her strong defensive performances. Bates has blocked 29 shots in 18 games, the third-most in the Big Ten.

The game against Illinois will start at 7 p.m. on Wednesday and will be played at the State Farm Center. Sunday's game against Michigan will begin at 2 p.m. at Jersey Mike's Arena. Both contests will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X. 

To view more of Allison Girardi's work, follow @allisongirardii on X.