Fan favorite Antwone Woolfolk is key piece for Rutgers men's basketball

Sophomore forward Antwone Woolfolk has become a fan favorite on the Banks. – Photo by Elliot Dong

When the Rutgers men's basketball team defeated Indiana on Dec. 3, 2022, Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus was in a frenzy. Every player on the Scarlet Knights (10-8, 2-5), as well as head coach Steve Pikiell, made their way over to exchange high-fives with the team's student section, affectionately known as the "Riot Squad," as they often do.

For one Rutgers player, though, this time was different.

Sophomore forward Antwone Woolfolk was greeted by multiple students wearing wolf masks, with the postgame celebration spreading across social media. The masks became a symbol of appreciation for one of the younger Knights, Woolfolk, who was just a freshman then.

"I was super excited, but I was also kind of shocked at the same time," Woolfolk said of his sudden following. "It was just so unexpected, and then I saw them out there for the first game … I was definitely shocked."

Much like his raucous cheering section, Woolfolk is not your average college basketball player. He is still completing his transition to becoming a full-time basketball player after spending much of his high school career juggling his time between star status on the hardwood and the gridiron.

But the Cleveland, Ohio, native feels like his game is starting to round out with another year of strictly basketball training.

"I feel like I’m in basketball shape now," Woolfolk said. "Last year, I was still holding onto some football weight, I feel like. Now, I can get up and down a lot quicker. I lost a couple of pounds as well, coming into this year. I felt like that played a huge part in me being able to keep up with guys the way I want to."

In his second season on the Banks, Woolfolk has become a key depth piece playing behind senior center Clifford Omoruyi. Through 17 games, Woolfolk is averaging approximately 4 points per game and approximately three rebounds per game. He is regularly tasked with defending the rim and getting touches in the post on offense.

Earlier in the season, Woolfolk was a starter as Pikiell tried different lineup combinations to see what would work best. Woolfolk liked the opportunity to start since it allowed him to settle into the game a bit better.

"I feel like it helped me a lot because I was kind of anxious with the crowd a little bit," he said. "Just being out there from the jump, I feel like it helped me ease into the game further down in the season. Usually, I'm a little bit nervous coming in, but being in from the jump, I feel like there's no time to get to that point."

Another part of entering the starting lineup was sharing the court with Omoruyi, as the two played together during Woolfolk's six starts in November and December. This included some highlight-reel plays such as an alley-oop from Omoruyi to Woolfolk in the season opener against Princeton.

"It's been pretty fun," Woolfolk said. "In high school, I played with another big man, not like him, but it was another huge, big man. I feel like that helped a lot with my chemistry with Cliff."

Even as a key piece to the Rutgers rotation, Woolfolk is still looking to build his repertoire amid his sophomore season. 

What is the biggest aspect he wants to improve on? Improving his range to become more of a stretch big.

"I feel like it's what I need to help my game open up a little bit more," Woolfolk said. "To make guys play me more honest. I feel like I can do a little bit of everything, not just post up, back down, stuff like that. I can do a little bit more."

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Alec Crouthamel's work, follow @aleccr12 on X.