US Department of Education investigates U. harassment filings

Rutgers was recently added to a list of higher education institutions under investigation for Title VI by the Department of Education (DOE).  – Photo by @RutgersU / Twitter

The U.S. Department of Education (DOE) opened a Title VI investigation of Rutgers on Monday, according to the DOE.

Title VI is a part of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which addresses discrimination based on racial, ethnic or national origin at federally-funded institutions.

The Office of Civil Rights (OCR) is responsible for carrying out the code with respect to shared ancestry and ethnic characteristics. The OCR handles harassment based on these traits and students' true or perceived nationality, ethnic, racial or religious background.

When assessing cases, the OCR references the victim's appearance, such as their skin color, and cultural expression, such as traditional clothing or spoken language.

A University spokesperson told The Daily Targum that the investigation is associated with harassment claims filed in October and November, particularly regarding those of or perceived to be of Jewish ancestry or Israeli origin.

She said the University positions itself against antisemitism and other forms of identity-based discrimination and aims to make students, faculty and staff comfortable.

She added that the announcement does not disclose further information but said the University will act in accordance with the DOE.