Scarlet Magazine returns to Rutgers—Newark

The dormant Scarlet Magazine makes a triumphant return with the assistance of students and faculty. – Photo by David Horan

After approximately four years of inactivity, Scarlet Magazine has made its return to Rutgers—Newark with a new issue released this month.

The revitalized publication celebrates the work of Rutgers—Newark students and explores social justice through the arts as a theme.

"I think there was a recognition that the pandemic stopped the publication of (Scarlet Magazine)," Larry Jaffee, a professor in the Department of Arts, Culture and Media, said. "So, it was about time that we had another publication in print."

Students in Jaffee's capstone class contributed to the magazine. Anya Dillard, a College of Arts and Sciences junior, wrote the most recent issue's cover story on Newark Mayor Ras Baraka.

"I had a lot of fun writing those stories," Dillard, who also wrote two other pieces in the magazine, said. "I think the cover story was the hardest because it was the longest, and it took us a long time to secure that interview, but that's why I'm super, super proud of that piece."

The relaunch of the magazine was envisioned as a way to link students who haven't been able to build true connections since the end of the pandemic, said Gaiutra Bahadur, an associate professor in the Department of Arts, Culture and Media and coordinator for the journalism program. 

"I think there's nothing like working on something together to get people to really know each other," Bahadur said.

Even with the passion behind the project, the team faced a number of hardships.

"Finding the money to (restart the magazine) — that was a challenge," Bahadur said.

Fortunately, the Institute for the Study of Global Racial Justice funded the magazine's publication for both the Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters.

It also took time for contributors to get back into the creative process of making a magazine.

"I think part of it was we had to relearn systems in place," Jaffee said. "I've never had an experience of ... producing a magazine by committee, because usually there's one art director who lays out the entire magazine. It's a much simpler process, so there were a lot of moving parts."

Isaiah Bristol, a College of Arts and Sciences junior who wrote about artist Adama Delphine Fawundu, found that conducting the interview in person made the process much easier.

"Sometimes, when you reach out to people, it's difficult, but I was able to meet with her, interview her in her office and I was also able to get pictures from her," Bristol said.

Abdullah Allen, a College of Arts and Sciences junior, wrote about Newark artist Bleriot Thompson. The story was a look into the artist's portraits of Black icons, Allen said.

"It’s an exploration of a lot of portraits that he provides about African-American heroes," Allen said. "My experience was a teaching moment — it was educational for me. Just being able to make sure that I was able to secure access to my interview subject and following up with him and gaining the images that I needed was a process, but we made it through."

Despite its long absence, there is optimism among the team about how Scarlet Magazine will be received by students on campus.

"I know people will care about (Scarlet Magazine)," Bristol said. "We have a lot of writers ... and these people are creative people ... We're talking about things (that are) not only happening on campus ... We also have a great cover story."

The release of the magazine was in print, but Scarlet Magazine is looking to build an online presence as well.

"As you know, the media landscape is evolving, so we probably want to explore a digital magazine," said Bahadur. "There isn't an online presence right now. We see that as a priority in the journalism program in the future. For now, it was just important that we get things back up and running to begin with."