RWJUH administration, striking nurses reach tentative agreement after almost 4 months

and 
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH) administration and striking nurses arrived at a tentative agreement on Friday. – Photo by @LUEL_us / X

On Friday, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH) and its striking nurses reached a tentative agreement, according to a press release. 

The nurses, who are a part of the United Steelworkers 4-200, had been striking for nearly four months before this agreement. The nurses initiated the strike due to burnout from staffing and contracting issues, as previously reported by The Daily Targum.

"A memorandum of agreement was signed by both parties and will be presented over the next several days to union members through informational meetings as part of the ratification process," said Wendy Gottsegen, a spokesperson for RWJUH.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) said he had been pushing for RWJUH and the union to negotiate throughout the strike, according to a press release.

Murphy met with the nurses in person for the first time four months after the strike began. The meeting occurred after nurses gathered outside the New Jersey Law Center in New Brunswick, where Murphy was due to give a speech, according to NJ Advance Media.

"I am grateful to the many individuals who were involved in these talks for their dedication to finding a fair and acceptable solution that works for both sides," Murphy said.

The new agreement includes safe staffing protocols, Judy Danella, the president of United Steelworkers 4-200, said in a union release.

"This agreement was hard-fought, but our sacrifice ultimately paid off with a fair contract that addresses nurses' most urgent concerns," Danella said. "The local bargaining committee unequivocally recommends ratification."