Hometown Hero: Rutgers men’s basketball secures commitment of 5-star class of 2024 guard Dylan Harper

2024 consensus five-star combo guard Dylan Harper committed to Rutgers Wednesday, sending shock waves throughout the college basketball world. – Photo by Franky Tan

The Rutgers men's basketball team has landed the class of 2024's second-ranked player and consensus five-star combo guard, Dylan Harper. Harper announced his commitment to the Scarlet Knights live from Fanatics on Overtime Wednesday.

Harper joins a loaded 2024 class for Rutgers, which includes five-star forward Airious "Ace" Bailey, four-star center Lathan Sommerville, three-star forward Bryce Dortch and three-star forward Dylan Grant.

On January 31, Harper narrowed down his list to five schools consisting of the Knights, Duke, Indiana, Kansas and Auburn. Though he had announced his final five in January, his recruitment dragged on, with rumors about all five schools circulating throughout the summer. Eventually, though, he decided on Rutgers.

Harper has now become the highest-ranked recruit in the modern era of program history. Bailey previously held the honor when he announced his commitment back in January. The pair of future teammates had been locked in a tight race at the top of the 2024 composite player rankings before the Blue Devil commit Cooper Flagg reclassified. Harper has barely edged Bailey, garnering the No. 2 ranking, while Bailey sits close behind at No. 3.

When the pair take the floor together at Jersey Mike’s Arena on Livingston campus, it will not be the first time they do so, as the two have played together a few times now. The first being when Harper joined Bailey's AAU team for a weekend event. The two have also played together at the USA Basketball Junior National Team's Mini-Camp.

Harper and Bailey seem to have grown a friendship off the court as well, as they have taken an official visit to the Knights together and made TikTok videos with each other. Harper was even in attendance when Bailey officially signed his national letter of intent.

Bailey was often in Harper's ear, enticing him to commit to Rutgers.

"We have a great relationship. We talk all the time. We text. He’s always saying if I go there (Rutgers) with him, we can do something special," Harper said.

Bailey's recruiting certainly worked.

The Knights' 2024 recruiting class now sits at No. 3 in the national team recruiting rankings. It would be Rutgers' highest-ever finish in program history.

Harper is a 6-foot-6 combo guard who plays high school basketball at Don Bosco Preparatory High School in Ramsey, New Jersey. Fans familiar with the Knights will recognize the last name Harper as former Rutgers guard Ron Harper Jr., the older brother of Dylan Harper, is widely considered to be one of the program's greatest players.

While following in his big brother’s footsteps, Dylan Harper will be looking to forge his own legacy on the Banks and take the Knights to heights they have never seen before.

"It definitely meant everything, staying home, staying in my backyard," Harper said. "That was really the biggest thing for me, that was to stay at home."

For more updates on the Rutgers men’s basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Camden Markel's work, follow @CamdenMarkel on X.