Fab 5: Rutgers men's basketball hauls in historic 2024 recruiting class

The Rutgers men's basketball team's 2024 recruiting class will have the chance to make history next season. – Photo by Ice You

Thirty-three years after Michigan recruited its 1991 class, famously dubbed the "Fab Five," the Rutgers men's basketball team has a "Fab Five" of its own.

The Scarlet Knights' 2024 recruiting class is most likely complete after Dylan Harper, 2024's second-ranked player and consensus five-star combo guard, committed to Rutgers on Wednesday. And none other than Jalen Rose, who was a part of the original "Fab Five," hosted Harper's commitment party.

"There's Duke, Kentucky, UConn — all the big programs — but why not be a trailblazer and stay home," Harper said.

The Knights' 2024 recruiting class now consists of Harper, five-star forward Airious "Ace" Bailey, four-star center and forward Lathan Sommerville, three-star forward Bryce Dortch and three-star forward Dylan Grant.

Harper's commitment pushes Rutgers' 2024 recruiting class to No. 3 in the nation, just behind the Blue Devils and the Wildcats. If the Knights were to end the 2024 recruiting cycle with the No. 3 class in the nation, it would be their highest-ever finish in program history and the first time they would have a top-10 recruiting class.

While Rutgers' "Fab Five" will likely never have the same impact on basketball culture that the Wolverines' "Fab Five" had, the 2024 class may have just changed the trajectory of the Knights' program forever.

The additions of Harper, Bailey, Sommerville, Dortch and Grant make next year's team national title contenders. The class is extremely versatile, with a guard, three forwards and a center who can also play as a forward.

Expect Harper and Bailey to start right away, as they use their year at Rutgers to help them prepare for the NBA Draft. NBA Draft Room's early 2025 mock draft had Harper going as the No. 2 overall pick and Bailey going as the No. 3 overall pick.

If either of those selections were to be made, it would be the earliest a Knights player has ever been selected in the draft.

With senior center Clifford Omoruyi likely headed to the NBA after the current season, Sommerville should also see significant minutes as a freshman. Dortch and Grant may not factor as much in their freshmen seasons, but they are still exciting prospects that bring defensive intensity and rebounding, respectively.

The 2024 class possesses the talent to take Rutgers into the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament and the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament, something it has not done under Pikiell.

The recruiting class could have a bigger impact than just the 2024-2025 season alone. If a Knights player were to be drafted in the first five picks of the NBA Draft, it would help head coach Steve Pikiell and the rest of the coaching staff potentially land bigger recruits in future classes.

The success of the recruiting class can also bring national attention to the program, something Rutgers has not had for a long time. More national attention could lead to better recruits, which would snowball into better results.

Harper's commitment and the 2024 class as a whole is transformative for a program looking to break into the upper echelon of the college basketball world.

The new "Fab Five" will have high expectations upon arriving on the Banks, and only time will tell if they are equipped to handle it. For now, though, the 2024 class will bring the Knights' fanbase something they have not had for almost 50 years: The hope to win a national championship.

"The goal is definitely (to win) a national championship," Harper said.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Ellis Gordon's work, follow @EllisVGordon on X.