Rutgers football game week opponent profile: Ohio State

The Rutgers football team will need to slow down Ohio State's offensive stars to knock off the powerhouse program. – Photo by Ben Solomon / ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers football team returns home this weekend to face off against Ohio State. The Scarlet Knights (6-2, 3-2) are coming off a 31-14 bowl-clinching victory against Indiana.

Rutgers is winless against the Buckeyes (8-0, 5-0) and has historically struggled in the Big Ten since its 2014 induction.

The Daily Targum sat down with Lauryn Luderman, the sports editor at The Lantern, to preview the matchup against No. 1 Ohio State.

"All that matters (for Ohio State's head coach Ryan Day) is being 1-0 at the end of every Saturday," said Luderman on the Buckeyes' success this season.

Quarterback Kyle McCord has thrown for more than 2,160 yards, 14 touchdowns and only three interceptions this season.

"It is dependent on the offensive line," Luderman said on McCord's performances. "I think McCord has his feet under him and has what it takes to make the play happen."

Wide receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. should make an impact on Saturday, as he has caught 48 passes this season for a conference-leading 889 yards and eight touchdowns.

The Knights will look to their strong defense, the seventh-ranked red zone defense nationally, to limit Ohio State's offense.

The Buckeyes offense averages 32.5 points per game, and their defense has been shutting opponents down, only allowing an average of 10 points per game.

Ohio State has the second-ranked scoring defense and is fourth overall in yards allowed per game, averaging just under 260.

Much of this can be attributed to cornerback Denzel Burke. Burke has eight pass deflections, one interception and a forced fumble.

Defensive tackle Tyleik Williams has been leaving his mark on the field this season with his ability to wrap up and tackle opposing players as well as break up plays.

"(Williams) was someone that no one had on their radar," Luderman said. "He wasn’t even in the first rotation."

Williams has recorded 33 total tackles, 14 solo tackles and two sacks. He has also shown up in the trenches with five pass deflections and a fumble recovery.

With the Buckeyes' high-powered offense and strong defense, Rutgers will have its hands full on both sides of the ball.

The match is set to kick off at noon on Saturday at SHI Stadium on Busch campus. The game will be broadcast on CBS and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

"It is going to be 9 to 34 Ohio State," Luderman said in her predictions for the game.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on X.