Pro-Palestine demonstrators stage walkout at Rutgers—Newark

On Thursday, a walkout by Rutgers—Newark students in support of Palestine reached the offices of Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) in Downtown Newark.  – Photo by Abdullah Allen

On Thursday, dozens of Rutgers—Newark students staged a walkout and marched to Sen. Cory Booker's (D-N.J.) office to demand a ceasefire in the ongoing Israel-Hamas War in Gaza.

The walkout was led by several pro-Palestinian organizations, including Students for Justice in Palestine at Rutgers—Newark, the New Jersey branch of American Muslims for Palestine and the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).

The group assembled at approximately 3 p.m. at Norman Samuels Plaza in front of the Paul Robeson Campus Center on the Rutgers—Newark campus.

The group of protestors chanted, "We will never let you die, free Palestine," and "From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free," as the group made its way toward Booker's office at One Gateway Center.

In a speech during the protest, Hafsa Habehh, a Rutgers—Newark alum and a member of the American Muslims for Palestine, said the government is complicit in Israel's war crimes.

"We call on (Booker) to call for a ceasefire and prioritize humanitarian aid without the contingency of arming their oppressor," Habehh said in her speech. "(Israel has) already received too much military aid from the (U.S.) … Our government is complicit in Israel's war crimes."

Asare Bampoe-Parry, a School of Arts and Sciences junior at Rutgers—Newark, said it is important for the community to show solidarity and support the Palestinian people.

"There's strength in numbers, and when you bring this amount of people to a public space, to the senator's office … I feel like that really makes a statement," he said. "When you're yelling things like, 'Ceasefire,' and, 'Genocide is on the senator's name,' what can you do? You have to do something. You have to react."

At approximately 4 p.m., protesters entered the One Gateway Center building. Once in the building, Dyaa Terpstra, a Rutgers—Newark alum and member of CAIR, said in a speech that Booker's inability to take action in support of Palestinians has put Muslims in New Jersey in danger.

"Senator Booker, when you share statements that dehumanize Palestinians, when you share statements that don't even consider them as people, you know what you're doing? You're inviting harm against all Muslims in New Jersey," he said. "I can tell you, just this week, we have 25 reports of hate crimes coming to CAIR New Jersey because of you, Cory Booker."

On Friday, Booker, along with 13 other Democratic senators, released a statement regarding humanitarian aid to Palestinians.

"The tragic war in Gaza, initiated by Hamas terrorist attacks on innocent civilians on October 7, is causing heartbreaking suffering among Israelis, Palestinians and citizens of other nations living in the region," the statement read.

This is the second time this week that protesters in New Jersey have attempted to engage Booker directly in their calls for a ceasefire.

On November 6, protesters, many of whom were donning white gloves with red paint on them, interrupted a Booker Democratic Column A campaign rally in South Brunswick, continuously chanting for a ceasefire.

Booker responded, saying, "This is what makes America great: The power to protest, the power to have free speech, the power of America."

Students and student groups at Rutgers—Newark have continued to make a concerted effort to advocate for an end to the violence in Gaza. In addition to today's walkout, there was a "Day of Peace" on October 18, a "Stand With Palestine" march on October 29 and November 6 and a "Teach-In On Gaza" held by Rutgers—Newark Law Professor Sahar Aziz.