Giana Romano brings versatility, reliability to Rutgers women’s soccer

Senior midfielder and forward Giana Romano will look to bring her experience to the Rutgers women’s soccer team when it heads to the NCAA Tournament this week. – Photo by Ice You

Senior forward and midfielder Giana Romano is closing out her fourth season for the Rutgers women's soccer team. Romano has been a versatile and consistent player for the Scarlet Knights (9-6-4, 5-4-1) throughout her career.

Hailing from Staten Island, New York, it was a quick trip over state lines to get to the Banks, which made Romano's college decision an easy one.

"I chose Rutgers because it was close to home, and I feel like they had such a family atmosphere for as long as I've known," Romano said. "So I think once I had the opportunity, it was a no-brainer to come here."

Romano played in 24 of 25 games as a sophomore in 2021. It was a historic season in which Rutgers made a run to the semifinals of the NCAA College Cup. Despite the heartbreaking loss, the season will always be remembered fondly by Romano.

"My best memory here was making a Final Four my sophomore year," Romano said. "We had a great year, and we almost made it all the way to the end. We worked extremely hard every single day. Just being at the Final Four was an unforgettable experience."

The Knights followed up their semifinal season with another strong campaign in 2022, where they earned an NCAA Tournament berth.

Rutgers struggled at the start of the 2023 season before getting back on track, winning 4 of its last 5 regular season games.

"We knew what we were capable of, so I think we were just able to stay consistent towards the end of the regular season by just playing for each other and staying focused," Romano said. "We knew what was on the line, obviously, and we knew we had another level in us. So, I think we stayed focused on winning and playing our game, and that led to our overall success."

Romano’s versatility was on full display during the Knights' stretch run.

"I was just able to help my team in any way this season," Romano said. "I was playing multiple positions, stepping in wherever I was needed."

Romano's contributions to the Banks have not gone unnoticed, and Rutgers will surely miss her do-it-all attitude and ability.

The solid late-season play has helped the Knights earn a bid into the NCAA Tournament.

Romano and Rutgers look forward to the opportunity to show the world what they are made of.

"With a bid into the NCAA (Tournament), we want to prove that we still have another level in us and that we aren't finished yet," Romano said.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Camden Markel's work, follow @CamdenMarkel on X.