OLIVER: Languages are dying — we must save them

Column: Curiosity Corner

Keeping languages alive also helps communities preserve their culture and history. – Photo by Aarón Blanco Tejedor / Unsplash

There are approximately 7,000 languages spoken in the world today, but this number is dwindling fast.

More than ​​60 percent of the first languages that were spoken worldwide in the year 1795 face imminent extinction or have already vanished. To put this into more concrete terms, a language ceases to exist approximately every 40 days.

What many people fail to realize is that languages themselves can be endangered, and it is our duty as members of this planet to preserve them. 

Preserving endangered languages is a critical endeavor aimed at safeguarding the linguistic and cultural heritage of communities facing the threat of language loss. It is not only an act of cultural preservation but also an attempt to protect our global linguistic and cultural diversity. It is about recognizing the intrinsic value of every language and the roles they play in shaping our worldviews, identities and societies.

Efforts to preserve endangered languages contribute to a richer, more inclusive and interconnected global community. In such a fractured and disconnected time in history, this is an even more vital endeavor.

Every language offers a distinct way of expressing ideas and understanding the world around us. It was the great emperor Charlemagne who once said, "To have another language is to possess a second soul." Although these words were spoken more than a thousand years ago, they still ring true today.

Each language is a unique repository of a community's culture, history and traditions. When a language is lost, so is a significant part of that community's identity and heritage, limiting our understanding of human cognition and communication. Preserving languages helps maintain the rich tapestry of human cultural diversity.

According to the Administration for Native Americans, there are 245 distinct Indigenous languages in the U.S., but 65 have already gone extinct, with another 75 following closely behind.

This decline is not the result of natural processes. The historical injustices and discrimination based on language relentlessly continue to darken the record of our country. 

Approximately 200 years ago, the U.S. government mandated attendance at boarding schools for Indigenous children, irrespective of their families' consent.

Upon enrollment, Indigenous children underwent a process where they were assigned Anglo-American names, subjected to kerosene baths, provided military-style attire in place of their traditional clothing and had their hair either shaved or cut into short bob styles, depending on their sex.

The utterance of any kind of Indigenous language was banned, and all instruction was required to be provided in English. 

Even as recently as the 1970s, Indigenous children were told that they were not as smart as other students if they did not speak English and were punished if they did not speak the language.

Today, the widespread effects of these atrocities continue to be felt by the Indigenous community and countless others who have experienced similar traumas.

Analogous to racial profiling, linguistic profiling involves making assumptions about a person's character, background or behavior based on their language or accent. This can lead to unfair treatment in various contexts, even those like housing or lending decisions.

Within the job market, language discrimination can result in hiring biases. Employers may favor candidates who speak a particular language or dialect, potentially disadvantaging those who speak a different language even if they are otherwise qualified for the position.

This is why it is imperative that we protect and preserve endangered languages around the world by promoting linguistic diversity and advocating for equal access and opportunities for speakers of all languages and dialects. 

Language is a key element of individual and community identity. It is the very thing that separates us from all other species on the planet, connecting us to one another and guiding the future of our world.

Language is the beating heart of culture and humanity, and we must devote ourselves to defending it.

Jamie Oliver is a sophomore in the School of Arts and Sciences majoring in cognitive science and linguistics. Her column, "Curiosity Corner," runs on alternate Sundays.

*Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day's publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.