New Brunswick Housing Authority holds monthly meeting, questioned on executive director resignation

The New Brunswick Housing Authority Board met on Wednesday to discuss new initiatives. – Photo by Forevaclevah / Wikimedia

On Wednesday, the New Brunswick Housing Authority Board hosted its monthly community meeting to discuss personnel changes and various resolutions.

The Housing Authority is responsible for providing assistance programs for renters and homeowners in New Brunswick. After a brief roll call of meeting attendees, Douglas Petix was introduced as the board's newest member.

Charlie Kratovil, editor of New Brunswick Today, asked the board about the New Jersey State Police investigation into John Clark, the former executive director of the New Brunswick Housing Authority.

"What is your comment on this investigation? Is the Housing Authority cooperating? And does this have anything to do with Mr. Clark's somewhat abrupt departure earlier this September?" Kratovil said.

Board Attorney Joseph Manfredi was not in attendance, so therefore, a representative of the firm, Alberto Camacho, answered the questions. Camacho said that as far as they are aware, Clark's resignation had nothing to do with the investigation, and the Housing Authority will always cooperate with subpoenas.

Kratovil later said Tory Gunsolley was set to become interim executive director of the Housing Authority last month, but that decision was eventually rescinded.

In response to Kratovil, Zachary Wright, a member of the Housing Authority Board, said that the current interim executive director, Dan Toto, was chosen due to his experience and because the board did not want to abruptly fill the open position.

The meeting continued with the approval of three different resolutions related to bill payments. The board approved all resolutions brought up in the meeting. The concluding topic of the meeting was a Thanksgiving giveaway.

"So I want you guys to get involved for our giveaway for Thanksgiving in November, which is, you know, right around the corner," Toto said. "When we hand out the turkeys and the prizes and the good things that we have for Thanksgiving, I think it'd be a good opportunity to get out there and meet the tenants."