Emmanuel Ogbole's unique basketball journey led him right to Rutgers men's basketball

Sophomore center Emmanuel Ogbole’s size is sure to make a difference for the Rutgers men’s basketball team this season. – Photo by Ice You

Sophomore center Emmanuel Ogbole had a unique journey that led him to head coach Steve Pikiell and the Rutgers men’s basketball team.

The 6-foot-10, 260-pound sophomore from Aune-Adoka, Nigeria, attended Excel Model Secondary School in Nigeria but did not start playing basketball until he was 18 years old.

Despite his late start, Ogbole picked up the sport fast and decided to join the basketball academy in Nigeria. His brief time at the basketball academy led Ogbole to move to the U.S. and play for Monroe College in the 2022-2023 season, a junior college located in New York, New York.

Last season, Ogbole dominated for the Mustangs, averaging 12.3 points per game and 8.2 rebounds per game. He shot an exceptional 69.3 percent from the field as well. Ogbole helped lead Monroe College to its best season in 11 years, making it to the NJCAA championships for the first time in six seasons.

After his impressive season in junior college, Ogbole held offers from Seton Hall and the Scarlet Knights, ultimately picking Rutgers.

Ogbole attributed the camaraderie of the Knights as a primary factor in his decision.

"I chose Rutgers because Coach Pikiell came to see me train and came in person last season," Ogbole said. "When he invited me to my first visit in January, I saw how great the facilities were. I saw how great the coaching staff was and how hard the players were working. I saw the bond and chemistry between everyone there. This is a family, and it's nice to say I am joining them."

Head coach Steve Pikiell had high praise for Ogbole and what he brings to the table for Rutgers.

"Emmanuel is a terrific addition to the Rutgers basketball family," Pikiell said. "Emmanuel is well-coached from a great program run by Jeff Brustad. We have added another high-character individual to our program who is humble, appreciative and hard-working. He has great hands, terrific athleticism, great size and his best basketball ahead of him."

Ogbole will add size, length and athleticism to the Knights. Though Ogbole will most likely not play to start the season due to a knee injury he suffered at the end of last season, Ogbole will be a force in the paint when he is back.

Ogbole has great defensive upside as well, logging 49 blocks with the Mustangs last season.

Though still raw, Ogbole has the potential to be a special player for Rutgers by adding toughness and intensity to the roster. His path will be further guided by the seasoned presence of fellow center, senior center Clifford Omoruyi, who can be a valuable mentor to Ogbole.

Ogbole has an unwavering love for the game and is ready to help contribute to winning in any way he can.

"The passion and love for basketball is very important to me," Ogbole said. "Most great basketball players need to have that passion. When you have a love of the game, everything happens naturally. I love blocking shots and rebounding. My priority is my defense. After that, the scoring will come naturally."

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.