Targum sports desk gives predictions for Rutgers-Temple

The Daily Targum sports desk gives their predictions for the upcoming Rutgers-Temple football game – Photo by Hamza Azeem

The Rutgers football team will look to win its blackout game against Temple on Saturday. The Scarlet Knights (1-0, 1-0) barely defeated the Owls (1-0, 0-0) last season, so they will be looking to get a more convincing win in front of the fans at SHI Stadium on Busch campus.

In anticipation of Saturday's night game, The Daily Targum sports desk weighed in with its score predictions and overall thoughts on how the game will unfold.

Ellis Gordon, head sports editor: "Last year's game against Temple was not pretty by all accounts. Yet the Knights managed to win that game away from home and with a string of injuries. This year, Rutgers is healthier and has improved on both sides of the ball.

"The Knights' defensive line will terrorize the Owls offensive line to the tune of six sacks, including two from junior defensive lineman Aaron Lewis.

"Rutgers' offense will also be much more competent as the relationship between junior quarterback Gavin Wimsatt and freshman wide receiver Ian Strong continues to grow. Against Temple, Strong will have four catches for 67 yards. Sophomore placekicker Jai Patel will hit all three of his field goal attempts, and the Knights will win 30-14 after the Owls score a late touchdown."

Josh Meyers, associate sports editor: "The last time Rutgers played Temple at SHI Stadium, the team crushed the Owls by a score of 16-14. While I don't think the margin of victory will be that great again, the Knights will show out in front of a blacked-out SHI Stadium. Vibes are high for Rutgers and should remain high on Saturday. The Knights will win by a score of 32-18."

Camden Markel, correspondent: "Rutgers will pick up where it left off and will get the victory over Temple. Offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca will have some solid play calling that will lead to some long touchdown drives. Wimsatt will turn the ball over once, but the defense will make up for it by getting three takeaways. SHI Stadium will be electric as the Knights roll past the Owls and win by a score of 28-13 to improve to 2-0."

Matthew Mangam, correspondent: "Rutgers started its season very strong, taking down Northwestern with a strong offensive and defensive performance. The Knights played a close game with Temple last season, and I think it will be a tight contest once again. Rutgers will win by a score of 17-13."

Andrew Rice, contributing writer: "The Rutgers defense showed what it was capable of last Sunday against Northwestern. We can expect the defense to perform like this again, along with increased offensive production. Rutgers will win by a score of 35-7."

Alec Crouthamel, contributing writer: "Rutgers will win 31-17 in a relatively high-scoring game. The Knights will continue their progress from the Northwestern win by maintaining a solid time of possession advantage over Temple.

"The Owls will be able to take advantage of their limited opportunities as E.J. Warner plays a solid game and throws for two touchdowns. Rutgers will pull away in the second half behind timely defensive stops. The Knights will move to 2-0 with a lot of momentum as September rolls along."

Jack Rabenhorst, contributing writer: "This will be a great game, and I am curious to see if Rutgers can execute offensive drives as well as it did last week. I'm closely watching the Knights' defense, as they should come up with some massive stops. Rutgers will win by a score of 27-17."

Allison Girardi, contributing writer: "A second straight win would be great for Rutgers. After an impressive win against Northwestern, Wimsatt will continue to improve against Temple. I'm anticipating a close game, but a strong offensive performance from the Knights will put them over the edge. The Knights will win by a final score of 27-21."

Rutgers will face off against Temple at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. The game will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network, WFAN and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on X.