Targum sports desk gives predictions for Rutgers-Michigan

The Daily Targum's sports desk predicts the outcome of the Rutgers football team's fourth game of the season against Michigan. – Photo by ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers football team will head on the road to face off against Michigan on Saturday. It will be the Scarlet Knights' (3-0, 1-0) first road game of the year and a tough matchup as the Wolverines (3-0, 0-0) are ranked as the second-best team in the nation.

In anticipation of Saturday's afternoon game, The Daily Targum's sports desk weighed in with its score predictions and overall thoughts on how the contest will unfold.

Ellis Gordon, head sports editor: "Rutgers will face its toughest challenge of the season on Saturday as Michigan has not lost with fans in 'The Big House' since November 2019. Though the Knights have given the Wolverines a challenge in their recent matchups, Michigan will keep its impressive home record intact.

"Rutgers will keep the game within striking distance thanks to two sacks from junior defensive lineman Aaron Lewis and an interception from junior defensive back Robert Longerbeam but will ultimately be unable to pull ahead. Freshman wide receiver Ian Strong will catch his second career touchdown, but the Wolverines will win the game 30-21."

Josh Meyers, associate sports editor: "Michigan will be a huge step up from Northwestern, Temple and Virginia Tech, and it will not be easy for Rutgers, even though it has played well against the Wolverines in recent years. Despite the positive vibes surrounding the Knights, Michigan will win by two drives, but the fact that Rutgers will keep it close will keep Rutgers' momentum going.

"Head coach Greg Schiano will continue utilizing the run, as junior quarterback Gavin Wimsatt will rush for at least 60 yards, and junior running back Kyle Monangai will have a 75-yard rushing performance. J.J. McCarthy will throw for at least three touchdowns in a get-right game for him, and the Wolverines win at home by a score of 35-23."

Matthew Mangam, correspondent: "Rutgers will face a tough matchup against No. 2 Michigan on Saturday. The Wolverines have also started the season undefeated and will be looking to earn their first conference win. The Scarlet Knights will play a close game, but Michigan's offense will push them over the line to claim the victory. The Wolverines will win 35-17."

Camden Markel, correspondent: "A daunting trip to 'The Big House' in Ann Arbor, Michigan, to face off against No. 2 Michigan is where the undefeated start for Rutgers ends.

"The Scarlet Knights took a lead into halftime against the Wolverines last year and outscored them in the second half the year prior, but can they put together two full halves of beating Michigan this year? I don't think Rutgers is quite there yet, though, it will keep the game close for two to three quarters.

"The Knights' defense continues to look strong while keeping the Wolverines' offense fairly in check. But Wimsatt throws two interceptions, and the offense does not do quite enough for the victory. Michigan wins 31-17."

Alec Crouthamel, contributing writer: "Rutgers will keep it close for two and a half quarters, much like the past couple of seasons. The run game gets bottled up, so Wimsatt will be relied on to make plays with his arm. He throws for more than 220 yards and a touchdown but also throws his first interception of the season. 

"Monangai still handles the load in the run game, racking up 70 yards on 25 carries, while sophomore running back Samuel Brown V gets more involved. The Knights' defense gets two turnovers as Rutgers scares Michigan but ultimately falls 31-13."

Andrew Rice, contributing writer: "Michigan has always been a tough game for Rutgers. Since the Scarlet Knights beat the Wolverines for their first-ever Big Ten win in 2014, Michigan has not lost to Rutgers.

"Do not expect that script to flip this Saturday in Ann Arbor, Michigan. While the Knights usually play Michigan tough on the road, and I expect them to get at least one turnover, it is hard to picture the game being very close. The Wolverines will win by a score of 42-21."

Eddie Kalegi, contributing writer: "For the fourth consecutive year, Rutgers will play Michigan close. For the third straight year, though, the Knights will lose their fourth contest after starting their season with three straight wins. The Wolverines have not eclipsed 35 points in a game yet, but their defense will do enough to fluster Wimsatt, who did not have his best game against Virginia Tech. 

"The return of Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh to the maize and blue sidelines will power it to a 4-0 start and hand Rutgers its first loss of the season. Michigan wins 34-20."

Noah Ohayon, contributing writer: "Rutgers is coming off a big win against Virginia Tech. The momentum should give the Knights a boost on the field against a tough Michigan team, but I do not know if it will be enough to get Rutgers past its Wolverine-sized hurdle. The first half will be close in score, but ultimately, Michigan will pull away with a 37-14 win."

Jack Rabenhorst, contributing writer: "This will be a close contest for most of the game, but Michigan will pull away at the end and defeat Rutgers by a score of 35-17."

Rutgers will face off against Michigan at noon on Saturday. The game will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network, 88.7 WRSU-FM and WFAN.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on X.