Skip to content

Rutgers women's soccer falls short against No. 14 Georgetown

Senior midfielder and forward Giana Romano and the Rutgers women's soccer team struggled to create scoring chances against Georgetown today. – Photo by

The Rutgers women's soccer team returned to Yurcak Field on Busch campus today to take on No. 14 Georgetown in a Labor Day matinee matchup. The Scarlet Knights (2-2-2, 0-0-0) were defeated by the Hoyas (4-0-1, 0-0-0) by a score of 2-0.

The match started with Georgetown controlling much of the possession. In the 4th minute, the Hoyas had a scoring opportunity, but sophomore goalkeeper Olivia Bodmer rushed out of goal and intercepted the ball. Bodmer was shaken up after the play but remained in the game after being checked out for injury by the training staff.

Approximately 2 minutes later, the Knights were awarded a free kick in which they were inches away from getting a head on the ball for a shot attempt but could not capitalize.

It was a slow start to this game for both teams as it wasn't until the 21st minute when the game had its first shot attempt as graduate student forward Gia Vicari had her shot saved by Allie Augur. Just moments later, the Hoyas fired a shot attempt of their own but Bodmer made the save.

In the 33rd minute, Bodmer's stellar play in goal continued as she made an excellent save, punching a shot attempt away and over the crossbar. Headed into the final 10 minutes of the half, the match remained gridlocked at 0-0.

In the waning seconds of the half, junior midfielder Kylie Daigle fired off a shot toward the bottom right of the net, but Augur made the save. The game went into halftime tied 0-0.

In the 53rd minute, Rutgers threatened to get on the board but an offside call on junior forward Riley Tiernan wiped away the opportunity.

Approximately 2 minutes later, Georgetown broke the tie as Henley Tippins made a flashy move to get past the defense and powered it past Bodmer into the top right of the net.

Shortly after the first goal, the Hoyas struck again. This time, Erika Harwood assisted Allie Winstanley for the goal. In the span of approximately 90 seconds, Georgetown had broken the 0-0 tie and gave itself a 2-0 lead.

After a promising cross for the Knights got deflected out of play by the Hoyas, Rutgers had its first corner kick of the day in approximately the 69th minute. The corner didn't lead to much of a chance for the Knights, though, as the kick sailed over everyone. With approximately 20 minutes left to play, Rutgers needed to make some things happen as it still trailed 2-0.

The Knights strung together a few more opportunities and shot attempts over the final 20 minutes but couldn't find the back of the net. Rutgers' attack looked much better and more coherent in the final stretch of the game, getting numerous opportunities in the box, but couldn't capitalize for any goals.

Georgetown did a good job controlling the midfield and midfielders like senior midfielder/forward Giana Romano had trouble finding space with and without the ball.

The Knights finished the game trailing 15-8 in shots, 6-5 in shots on goal and 9-3 in corner kicks. Bodmer recorded four saves. "There's a lot of games to play against a lot of good competition," said head coach Mike O'Neill. "We need to figure out how to take this game and get better from it."

Rutgers will have a chance to bounce back on Thursday when it takes on Providence at 6 p.m. and be broadcast on Big Ten+.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

Related Articles

Join our newsletterSubscribe